Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where is the apex?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by duncanp, Jun 8, 2006.

1. I've just searched for "apex" and only found one post that includes that word - fairly amazing. Does that mean there have been no threads specifically relating to cornering as opposed to counter steering?

If you've never been round a particular corner how do you know where the apex is? My thinking suggests that it is placed in relation to the exit of the corner. I think it appears when the rider can see that the corner ends. I think it is the point on a tangent to the corner that joins the rider, the inside of the corner and the end of the corner in a straight line. To keep matters simple I'm thinking of a constant radius curve joing two straight lines. At that point where the rider is when s/he sees the end of the corner is where the rider starts to turn harder. Would this be the "turning" point? Sounds logical.

I could do a course and I will but I like to learn about the material that is to be presented and then pick up the finer points on the course.

Can someone who knows put something together, please.

2. search engine is a little broken at the moment. Only threads from May + hmm 2004 + maybe 2005 or something to that effect show up in results. There are definitely more threads lying about, need to dig them up or get search engine to work 100% :) to fix this

Have you read the book by Keith Code, A Twist of the Wrist 2. Very good for these kind of questions. No doubt someone here will also help out. HTH :)

P.S http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcracing/code/bookreview.html

3. Apex: The geometric mid-point along the inside radius of a curve. I hope that makes it all clear? :)

4. "The geometric inside center point of a corner"

The apex is the point in the corner when the bike stops entering the corner and begins to exit the turn. The bike slows down or remains at a constant speed approaching the apex and then accelerates away from it. “Hitting” the apex allows a rider to take the straightest line and maintain maximum speed exiting the corner.

5.  Top
  6. Undii, did you mention that book the other day and also that you thought you should read 2 before 1?
    I thought I might duck down to Gordon library to see if they have it.

I believe the apex is not necessarily the centre. If in an extreme example the corner was shaped like a corkscrew say coming from the top layer of somehting like a car park where you went round and round and down and down, surely it has to be somewhere near the exit.

7. All of the stuff above is correct, the apex changes on the same corner dependant on rider, bike, conditions. I know in my car i tend to use a late apex, and brake late going in. it suits the car which has great grip. Same on the bike, i use a late apex for most corners.

8. Well, actually I don't think that's true - the apex, being a geometric term, remains where it's always been: at the midpoint of the inside radius of the curve. What does change is your riding technique. Terms such as 'early apex' and 'late apex' just refer to dfiferent ways of tackling the corner.

9. ok the geometric radius remains the same, but the riding apex changes?

10. OK, I'll go along with that :)

11. Pop, I get it - you can't change the apex any more than you can change the centre of a circle. Thanks for persisting with your argument. Seems like it's not a good word to use in relation to cornering.

12. Cathar, That looks like a two or three coffee read you've come up with. Love it and thanks.

13. Cathar, I've just finished that http://www.foreven.com/trackdod/NoviceGuide/ in a couple of hours
    (and brought the washing in et alia)
    and learnt plentyin the process, perhaps the most interesting point was the trail braking to get more weight on the front wheel to give it more traction for the turn (weight management). Thanks again.

14. Cheers Duncan.

Just work your way into it slowly. Better to practise the lines, even when ambling along, and make them an automatic routine so when you start to up the pace, it's all second-nature.

I liked that article.

15. Others have explained the apex.
    If you've never been round a corner then you will not know where it is. There are even some corners double apexed, and some closing radius (tightening up the further you enter).
    Your logic is sound. Stay wide until you can see the exit. That way you can see if the corner tightens, or doubles back earlier.

I'd recommend an Advanced Riding course. With StayUpright at Broadford on the Advanced course they showed us "road lines". The following day on the Cornering and Braking Course, they showed us "race lines".

16. the apex is as someone said before wherever the bike starts exiting a corner from. It's defines by the line the vehicle takes, not the corner.