Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where does my pipe go? (pics)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by joomi, Jun 2, 2007.

1. OK- no smartass remarks please. :p

I'm new to this bike game so excuse me if this is a stupid question.

After a long ride today I return home and notice that there is this open ended pipe which originates from somewhere up under the fuel tank and just kind of hangs down between the rear spring and chain (I moved it out in the photo for a better shot). Now the thing is that I had a major service done last week and I know that this pipe was not like this before the service. Is this pipe supposed to be there? What is it's purpose?

Another probably unrelated problem is that it now idles very low and sometimes cuts out when I stop at lights, even when the engine is warm (after more than 20 minutes of riding).

I plan on taking it back to the shop on monday but thought I might get some opinions before I have to book it in again and waste more time (without my bike).

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Lol! Looks like a fuel breather thingymabob. If its just that then it doesn't have to go anywhere special, just as long as its out of the way. Mine just sits under my seat and goes along towards the middle/back of the bike a bit.
  3. Possibly an overflow hose from the fuel filler, but usually those are smaller gauge. Given the poor idle, I suspect it may be a vacuum line causing an air leak, hence the stall/rough idle
  4. Cheers guys.

It might well be that it was like that before the service but in a different postion so I didn't notice it. I would hope that it isn't some kind of overflow hose from the fuel tank as it comes out right where the extractor pipe is (hot). If it is a vacuum line then where should it be connected to?

It is running beautifully. Only problem is that sometimes when I stop it cuts out.
  5. I have no photos showing, but there can be several things this hose does. One is tank breather, one is battery vent and another is carb vent hoses.
    I think your idle has just been set too low, mechanics love to set really low idles for some unknown reason.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. It wont be a vac hose. If it was it wouldnt idle at all and would have SFA grunt. Mech has just rerouted the hose.

You should have a fast idle knob somewhere. Have a look and bump the idle up if you can. :)
  7. Thanks for the help. I don't know what happened to the pics, they were working - looks like server issues.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. I shoved the tube down away from the chain and suspension where it shouldn't be a problem. What does the fast idle knob look like on a VTR250?
  8. like a knob on the end of a cable, usually mounted to a bracket (or a cable tie.....). on all the bikes i have ever owned (not sure about my current one), it has been located within reach while sitting on the bike (if you know where it is) around about under your leg/under the seat/or under the subframe where it becomes the tail section.
  9. Thanks vagrant. I'll check it out tonight.
  10. It's under the tank, kinda between the V of the cylinders, little black knob that you turn... Remember, a little goes a long way. I had this problem with my VTR. Pop the bike in neutral and turn it slowly...

where abouts in syd are you?.. i can show you :p... or i'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up if you can't find it