Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where do I get a tank polished / electroplated ?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by martych, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Hi all. Never posted on this part of NR so hope I'm in the right place to ask this question :

I'm looking at purchasing a Honda XBR500 in really good original condition.

Would like to do it up into a bit of a cafe racer looking thingo and was thinking a polished alloy tank would be a good place to start.

Can I get the existing tank polished or electroplated (ie, chromed) or would I be looking at a whole new tank ?

Also, where would I source bar end mirrors etc, to fit the Honda ?

Anyone got one of these that can help ?
  2. Hi! XBR500 are a lot of fun. I'd love to see one done Ace style.
    You could start with Electromold on Ferntree Gully Rd, they are
    expensive but by all reports do a good job. I think polished steel would
    be a more realistic and interesting-texture type look than
    chrome though...
  3. Chroming or electroplating of a tank wouldn't be easy simply due to the size and the fairly complex shape - you'd likely end up with a coating of varying thickness which wouldn't give a good finish. Simply polishing the steel and clear coating is an option but if you want a really good mirror finish look for somewhere doing autocatalytic/electroless nickel plating (often electroplating places do this). It's a chemical process which produces an even coating thickness and would also coat the inside of the tank providing excellent corrosion protection. Not sure on price but should be a lot cheaper than a custom made alloy tank.
  4. I've been wanting to do the same thing - get a second tank and chrome it - on my SR500, go for a BSA Gold Star tank look. Let us know how you go or what you find out about getting it done.

5. These guys are good, but you're paying top dollar for the work

202 Holt Parade
    Thomastown 3074
    Victoria, Australia

Phone: +61 3 9464 0922
    Fax: +61 3 9464 0548

Email: sales@electromold.com.au

3 Merrifield Street
    Brunswick, 3056

PO Box 565
    Brunswick, 3056

Phone (03) 9388 0620 or (03) 9380 6020
    Fax (03) 9380 2898
    Email info@carrollelectro.com
  6. you would be better off painting it...theres a chrome/mirror paint out these days...its called mirachrome