Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where do all the trailies go..?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Bozo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. In April last year, some low life piece of crap decided to take my little DR-Z250 from my supposedly locked garage :evil:
    Now, I'm pretty sure I'll never see it again, but where the hell do all these stolen dirt bikes end up? Rebirthed and in the bush, certainly - but how massive can the market be for a little two fiddy four stroke that's not a Yam, KTM or Honda?
    I know of and have heard of many, many trailies being pinched - surely there must be someone here who know someone who's been offered a hot one?

2. I think a lot of them might be stolen for parts or broken up and sold. Been to a few swapmeets that have had stalls selling a large number of dirtbike parts but never seem to have any "traceable" parts like engines. Could be that they've just owned many, many dirtbikes and accumulated lots of parts - more likely that most of what they're selling is stolen but since it can't be traced they happily do it in plain sight (Police often patrol swapmeets but unless they can prove something's hot there's not much they can do).
  3. probably most dirtbikes that are stolen arent registered anyway. just for track use or are riden unregistered in the bush. so really theres no way to tell just by looking at a bike where it came from.

as for the dr, possibly in parts now cause there isnt a high demand for a stolen dr that has to be registed.