Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where did the corners go?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Hyssy, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Alright so I've only been riding about 3 years or so but when I had a CBR600F I'd done a few HART courses and that Superbike school out at eastern creek. I was pretty confident on it and wouldn't mind swinging around a few twisties.

Now the viffer.... great bike as it is, just isn't the same. Being about 30 odd kilos heavier than the cibby and with different weight distribution etc, I've found it harder than I anticipated to get into the swing of things to the same level as before.

I remember the guidelines for riding style, set up, lean and all that but... I'm not getting right into it like I used to.

Which is strange, because at low speed, doddering along in traffic or what not I find the Viffer easier to manage than the Cibby was. It's those all important corners...

SO! I ask, for someone moving up to a bigger bike and informed of the theory, is there any advice you can offer to help me get into this bigger beast? Maybe because I did have the chance to throw the Cibby around the track before, I was a bit more aware of its limits and how it behaves. Whereas with the Viffer I haven't yet had that opportunity and there's that... mental wall so to speak that's just stopping me from carrying on where I left off.

Much appreciated!
  2. I've only ridden my brother's VFR-750 once, but on HIS say-so, when he got his first one (after a CBX-550), he said they take a long time to learn to ride, but that once mastered, there's nothing like 'em.
  3. Ah just time I suppose. Time and practise. I took it out for a wonderful long ride around Sydney today and the moons must have been aligned or something because we got on perfectly.

Apart from a wasp or something getting into that tiny gap under my visor. That was fun at 80kph :LOL:
  4. The VFR is relatively heavy...you may find that you just need to put alot more body language into controlling it...The lighter bike may have gotten you lazy (relative to what the VFR needs)...you might just have to muscle it more....show it who's boss.

As it's design mandate is not for cornering specifically, it's geometry is probably more suited to stability while touring...You have to counter that by using more force.
  5. What Raven said. I cam get the GTR turning in VERY crisply, it just takes a big, hard push on the bar to do so, and some anticipation.
    Go ahead and push that big bike around, you will find a world of fun. Big bikes tend to be more stable on poor backroads, meaning you can keep going hard when all the RRRRRR bikes are backing off and skipping along the road surfaces.
    And some advice, the very BEST, cheap mod you can do to a sports tourer is some heavier fork springs. The best $120 or so you will ever spend.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. I've done a lot more riding since the OP and a go up the old pacific highway and I think I'm getting a lot better at it. I think the main thing is getting the confidence with the extra weight.

My main problem, I think, has been looking into the corners and putting the faith in the rubber. I used to do it on the CBR so... we're getting there. It's such a smooth ride, the VFR, I love it.
  7. If you get stuck into things a bit, you will probably find that you will need to move around on the bike alot more...get your backside moving, and get inside the bike through corners.
    If the bike wants to stand up for any reason (late braking etc), it will take a good bit of body weight to help counter it and keep it pointed correctly.
    You'll get used to it, though. :)
  8. I got stuck into the VFR800 very quickly - it likes sweepers in particular, 150kmh+ and it's in its element. It's not too bad in the tighter stuff either - but then, I ride a ZX9R, which is bigger and heavier again than the VFR, so I don't mind muscling a bike around.

Just get out and ride it more. Treat it like a bludgeon not a scalpel.