Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where can i drain the oil from?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by aimre, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ok, so somehow i sheared the 'sump' drain bolt. Im wondering where else i can drain the rest of the oil out. As i have next to no oil in it as ive already drained the frame.

There is this bolt (pictured) on the right engine cover. According to the haynes manual, its got nothing to do with case removal. Whats it there for and can i remove it to drain the oil??

Also i have these links to exploded diagrams.

Its bolt 25 in this pic
    http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Motosport/XR250R^2002^RIGHT CRANKCASE COVER?$oemlarge$

And judging by this pic, it (and others) it goes into the oil pump, but idk what i does. It looks like it goes into the bottom hole of the gasket labelled 10

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Motosport/XR250R^2002^OIL PUMP?$oemlarge$

Thanks for any help

2.  Top
  3. Hahaha!!! I thought it was a weird glove at first. (The alien penis that is) :LOL:

Yeah, easyout is the go, has worked a charm for for several times in the past on various bits and pieces.

4. I will eventually easy out it. But i dont own a drill or easy out. and i want the oil out now lol.

Yeah its a glove, best thing since sliced bread when working on cars or bikes. You may look queer, but when everyone else is in the laundry with the solvol for 20min, ur on the couch with a beer.

5. you could remove it, but I would think it is probably into the case, not the oil resevoir. You could try siphoning it out. i.e. fill a small hose with oil putting it down into the resevoir and keeping the outside end below the height off the sump. That should help you get most of it out.

You could also probably setup a vacumn hose setup using a vacumn cleaner and a very large bucket/Plastic bin(Ensuring ofcourse that you allow for a divider and enough height to ensure you won't suck any oil into the vaumn itself) and the appropriate hoses.

Take it to a mechanic and get it easy-outed, would be the best option, or ofcourse a Netrider with the skills...
    Good luck!

6. I have another method which may work If you have sheard the head of the bold clear off. With the head sheard off there is no locking pressure on the thread. You could try using a center punch and a hammer to remove it.

If you position the center punch close to the circumference of the remaining plug and tap it with the hammer in a anticlockwise direction holding the punch at 45% to the plug you may find it will undo.

Let me know if my explanation is unclear and I will post a picture.