Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where can I buy motorcycle training wheels?

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by pommiecat, Feb 26, 2011.

1. G Day two wheelers,

I thought I might grab some attention with my first post!

I am 36yo, flyweight short a*** procrastinator from Perth and I have finally got my first lesson booked for 5 March. I rode my Dad's trail bike many moons ago in the UK and have never lost that memory of exhilaration flying up and down the lanes.

I'll be learning on a little Scorpio but the bike I want is the Honda VTR250. I read good things about that bike and its ride position and weight are big drawcards for my lightweight self. PLEASE no one recommend the Virago...I know they are low (and no disrespect to Virago riders out there) but I'd rather ride a VTR with no seat than scrape along on a cruiser - it just ain't me!

I enjoy reading the posts from all on this forum and I found my instructor; Kath Beadman from some older posts. Keep up the good work.

Happy Riding

2. Welcome; it sounds like you got 'bit' a long time ago but the disease has taken a while to incubate :LOL:

There's often VTR 250s for sale right here as people graduate to full licence; keep an eye on the "For Sale" section...
  3. I suggest you find a scooter and steal its wheels to use as your training wheels. I call that a win-win situation.

Welcome to the forummm
  4. So I suppose this would be out of the question then:
    :p :LOL:
  5. Hey Pommiecat, welcome to NR mate. VTR250 are a good bike. There are a few around here with them. I hope you enjoy the riding mate.
  6. Thanks for the welcomes.

I will post some progress reports somewhere else in the forum. The issue of lightweight women riders seems to crop up frequently here (and elsewhere on google). I did a lot of research myself so maybe I can help others out there!

pommie cat
  7. Howdy!
    Have you started the instructor sessions as yet? How do you find them? I've wondered if having someone watch you ride and correct every little thing you do would accelerate your learning much more rapidly than just practise on your own?
  8. G Day,
    I have had three lessons so far, you can read about them in the new riders thread 'my story for small/new riders'. In WA there are two ways to learn
    1. with a registered instructor
    2. with an experienced rider who has held a bike licence for 4 years+

There is none of the eastern states buy bike, slap on L's and go for a ride thing allowed over here. At all times learners have to be accompanied.

In my case, option 1 means I get to borrow a bike and get advice from someone who knows how to instruct. Kath (my instructor) is also well aware of the requirements of the assessment, but first & foremost she intends to teach me correct technique and to be a safe rider. She can identify flaws in my riding and help me overcome them. I think that requires a different level of awareness to someone who is simply a rider, even if they are very good!

If I did option 2 i'd have to get a bike...but how do you test ride when you can't ride yet?..chicken & egg scenario! I'd also need a good rider to buddy up with all the time until I felt ready for the assessment.

Over here, once I pass the riding assessment there is no requirement for P plates, log book hours or anything. I can go solo on any bike of 250cc or less. I am much more comfortable with that idea having a professional teach me the basics.

I'll keep my new riders thread updated so when i pass my assessment we can see the total time it took me. I'm not in a hurry to get through the process just to be quick tho' ;)

Pommie Cat