Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where are they?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Nickyb88, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for a bike to buy here in Aus,
    But where on earth are all the bikes that are pre-2000?!?!?!

I've been looking at buying a dual sport bike, something like a transalp, v-storm, etc. etc. etc.

But all I can find is models that are post about 2004, which means they are really horrendously expensive!
    Do bikes pre these years actually exist in Australia? And where do I find one!!!

2. Look in one of the Magazines, like "Motorcycle Trader"

3.  Top
  4. Earlier TA's and AT's are rare as rockinghorse shit in Aus and im not to sure about the wee storms. Have you thaught about a KLR650 they are cheap and proven ADV tourers which are also capable off carrying larger loads and there should be one or some of one in just about every wrecker. If you look in the right place at the right time you can get your hands on an R1100GS for less than 8K with about 100,000K's on it but they are good for another hastle free 100 if you read up on their maintinance requirements. It depends on what you want to do with it, im guessing your traveling in Aus?. If you dont mind what it looks like you can always save buck there too.
    Just Bikes has alot of good deals once you get past the colour section, also try calling some of the dealerships that advertise on Bike sales and Bike Point and see if they can help out, then there are Local Papers, Tradingpost, Ebay bikes for sale on the side of the road etc..

5. Until the V-Strom non BMW 2 cylinder adventure tourer type bikes never sold well in Australia and the BMW's are expensive.

There are plenty of DR650's around at reasonable prices though and a scattering of KLR650's.

Either of those makes a good adventure tourer.

6. I still think depending on the distance an old (non idiot proof) BMW would be the go if you can find a mid 90's that shows some signs of age but has been looked after properly. Yamaha XT660's are a bit more expensive would probably do pretty well and you could have a but of fun in the tar with it aswell.
    KLE500 for a low budget tourer looks like a good package, they look more comfortable than big trail bikes they have a bit more weather protection and it dosn;t look overly hard to fit panniers to. The engine in them are everywhere!, in the UK they are getting 90K miles out of them before anything ither than valve adjustment and regular services and they arn't as buzzy on the highway.

7. I'm trying to avoid buying a BMW just because I want to ship the bike with me to do some overseas exploring and if a BMW breaks anywhere in SA or Africa, you've got no hope of fixing it!
    I was being put off Kawasaki's just because they've got so many bells and whistles that can break! But I'll have to look into them more because by the looks of it chances of me finding a TA or a cheap Storm are pretty slim..!

8. XR600 if your worried about it breaking down they don't even have a bettery so you don't have to worry about a flat, they dont have radiators, they are verry simple to service and there is nothing you don't need. To be honest you don't want to skimp out on the bike in the first place put it off for 6 months and buy what you want. Any bike can and will break down without notice its just a matter of how prepared you andyour tool kit are.
    BMW's are ok, if you dont have power assisted brakes or ABS and you carry a spare final drive bearing and seals and know how to swap them there isn't much that can fail if the bike is cared for properly in the first place, its the same deal with any other bike, you keep it running properly you wont have a problem.
    Id still say the KLE500 they don't have anything on them, they are supposed to be reliable and just about every continent got something with the same engine in it and they look alot more freindly on the highway compared to any big single.
    Here's a pic of one with the panniers off.
    [​IMG]

9. Which state are you in or intending to be in?

Reason being, there are two Honda Dominator's for sale in ADVRider (one Qld one NSW) and these may fit the bill of what you are after.

Not sure if I can post links to other forums in here so will PM you the links to teh adverts.

Garry