Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Where and why?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Grey Gentry, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Position on the road while crossing intersections?

The number of incidents, with the vehicles while making a RH turn across the path of a motocyclist, has got me thinking about what would be the safest road position to adopt when approaching this type of intersection.

Most training organisations advise you to ride in the RH wheel track. (although there are exceptions)

On a 2 lane road (1 each way) I think that riding in the RH wheel track is the poorest option.
    Firstly, for the driver of the vehicle turning, they have a harder time to see, a smaller frontal area, and judge the speed at which you are travelling.
    Secondly, you are closer to them and therefore have less time to notice them moving across in front of you.

Being in the LH wheel track, gives the driver a bit of an angle to sight you, and therefore able to judge your position and speed more easily.

On a 4 lane road (2 each way) this would mean it would be advantageous to be in the LH lane and LH wheel track.

When travelling across the top of the T at T intersctions, I have started to position myself on the LH wheel track, with the leg of the T on my right, and the RH wheel track when the leg is on my left. This again maximises the angle from the driver to the bike, and maximises the distance away from them, giving you a little more time to take an emergency response.

Looking for your input...do you think this is correct...or is there a safer way?

Ron

2. Somehow I don't think trying to make a right hand turn from the LHS of the left hand lane would be all that safe :shock:.

3. I think he means if the oncomming car is intending to turn right and the bike is traveling straight. In that case I tend to move left as well. It maximises the distance between you and the car which gives more time to make decisions if the car pulls in front. :)

4. I agree with Seany.

I tend to move the bike away from cars...just maximise distance between me and them at all times (other than splittiing of course). Sometimes this means the left wheel track other times tthe right.

one other thing i try and do is go where the cars aren't

on the Calder in the mornings and especially the tulla merge, cars all hang in the left lanes because they are merging in or turning off etc.... stick in the right lanes and the ride through there is fairly trouble free.

5. I personaly don't think viewing angle is at all relivent... Most drivers don't see motorbikes even when they are a meter wide with the whole bike lit up like a christmas tree.

But yeah being further away gives you more reaction time, and them more reaction time when they realise that things arn't going to plan.

As a general rule i find that keeping as many meters between you and other cars is the best policy not mater what direction everyone is going in.

6. Oops a misunderstanding...we are going straight ahead..not turning ..the vehicle is right turning arcoss our path.
    Sorry if I didn't explain it clearly

7. Tend to agree with the distance aspect. The only other cosideration is if you are in the left track and he/she is turning right into the same lane as you (i think this is your first option on the t intersection) you may blend into background more, or, he may turn regardless, either because he figures he can share the lane or you will get out of the way. I have sometimes taken the view of "taking my lane" and using the right track on this example, i also figure i have some space on my left to escape to, if he comes in regardless.

8. When you're travelling in a straight line towards an oncoming car, there's little motion effect from the driver's perspective as you loom slightly larger but don't move laterally in their viewspace.

The further away from them you can point your line of travel, the more noticeable you are.

Thus, I'll start in the right-hand lane when there's a car waiting to turn right in the oncoming traffic, and move to the left side of the lane, as that's what makes you move most in their field of view.

It works the same for somebody waiting on a left hand sidestreet to join your lane. The line of best visibility would be to start from the left lane and move across to the right. In this situation, however, their view if often obscured by something, so it's usually best to stay over right.

9. For best results, just weave like a motherf*cker and pull heaps of wheelies. Everyone notices you then.

10. Thats funny Loz, at my hart training that was a comment from one of the older instructors, that is, the lateral movement being more eyecatching. I have always done the weave and ass wiggle in traffic, even practice countersteer in my lane sometimes (all with due care). The thing is i have never been game to discuss it for fear of retribution, which will probaly start about now.

11. :grin: Thats funny Loz, at my hart training that was a comment from one of the older instructors, that is, the lateral movement being more eyecatching. I have always done the weave and ass wiggle in traffic, even practice countersteer in my lane sometimes (all with due care). The thing is i have never been game to discuss it for fear of retribution, which will probaly start about now.

12. Give yourself room and options. If there is a shoulder on the road to your left anticipate using that if the car pulls in front. If you don't have any run off space, slow down, cover the brakes etc. Just ride around looking and expecting these things to happen and you can avoid most of them when they happen.

13. I swerve around a bit if I see a oncoming car waiting to turn to increase the chance of being noticed but not that much.

:cool:

14.  Top