Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When will we start seeing 1000cc V4 hyper-sport bikes?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by [FLUX], Jan 30, 2006.

1. Just got to thinking about one of the most common problem with the in-line 4's, that being the unpleasant vibes that most produce in various parts of the rev range, as well as them being wide-ish.

With MotoGP, almost all manufacturers are using a V-style format for purposes of better motor compactness, making for shorter & narrower bikes, and was thinking who would be the first manufacturer to break the current 1000cc in-line 4 malaise, and start offering the silky smooth, compact, tractable grunt of a 1000cc V4 in order to differentiate itself from the rest of the 1000cc class clones.

Seems to me to be the natural progression of things as modern motorcycles continue to evolve towards the perfect embodiment of the sports machine. I mean, it's pretty clear that the racing depts of the various manufacturers are aware of the configurational benefit of the V4 (and V5) format, and at least to me it has the added user benefit of vibe-free operation and more tractable "growler"/big-bang style power delivery for more predictable and user-friendly traction, and weight and power can be saved by not using the counter-balancing shafts that get added to in-line 4's in an attempt to smooth out the vibe nasties. Heck, even the exhaust note would sound dramatically better (IMO).

Anyone care to explain to me why this would be a bad idea and/or why we wouldn't want this sort of engine format in future 1000cc hyper-sport bikes?
  2. I believe that Ducati have plans to produce a road going version of the Desmosedici.
  3. An excellent question, I've been wondering myself - especially after the huge success of the VFR series.

Is there any effect on emissions? Extra tekonogical engine management required (the Viffers certainly seem to have the kitchen sink thrown in there)? Longevity/reliability? Or perhaps it's a manufacturing issue and the big Japanese manufacturers don't feel that the V4/V5 1000cc engines are ready for mass production - after all, they've only been around in the MotoGP class for, what, 3 years at the cutting edge of development...?

Bloody good question.
  4. i reckon it would purely come down to sales.
    figures on paper = sales
    add some weight and drop some HP and you'll lose sales, regardless of how much better a ride it is :?
  5. No power loss to speak of. If there was, then you can be sure that the MotoGP race teams would all be using in-line 4's. If anything, there's probably an extra couple of hp on offer from losing the counter-balancing shafts and drive trains for them. Less weight too because they're no longer needed.

As for added weight overall, I doubt it. Motor would be about the same weight, the extra clyinder casing offset by the loss of the counter-balancing shafts, but the bike would have less mass in other locations because the bike no longer needs to be as wide.
  6. Cathar seems to be saying that you could get lighter and more compact bikes with a vee engine though, and power certainly soesn't seem to be an issue.
  7. Not if theyre only swapping a few kw for far better power delivery...

I agree with coconuts... people (especially aussies) are blinded by big numbers.
  8. Ok, lets assume for arguments sake that the V4 produces 2kW less. I don't know anyone who would by a 5kg heavier bike that makes, say, 133kW, vs a 5kg lighter bike that makes 131kw, and is easier to ride, smaller, and smoother.

That the CBR1000RR is ~10kgs heavier, and ~5kW down on power next to most of its rivals doesn't seem to hurt its sales any.
  9. This bloke reckons you gain torque but lose top-end from the configuration:

So you'd be more likely to see a V4 roadbike than the race replicas, as the nakeds and tourers tend to be the only categories which emphasise good torque and midrange over balltearing top-end...

CB1000V4 Hornet anyone? :LOL:
  10. It's been remarked in the MC press that the main drawback of building V4s is the extra expense. I'm assuming this means four cams instead of two, associated components and two heads. There may possibly be some cooling issues, too.
    For a premium bracket machine this need not be a big issue, IMHO, and I agree that there should be no engineering reason why equal power cannot be made (valve curtain area should be equivalent to an inline).
    In fact, why restrict it to hypersports? I love V4s, and if somebody built a V4 naked, I might very well buy it...
  11. No need to restrict to hypersports at all.

I'd love to have a V4 600cc bike. That'd be my dream.

It just seems to me that aside from the small amount of extra costs, that the V4 configuration is clearly superior, and much more user friendly.
  12. From memory, they were looking at somewhere between $70-90k for a Desmosedici +/- ownership of a 999R as a pre-requisite. Big money for a bike.
  13. Nah, he's just referring to a "seat of the pants" feeling of power.

V4's are somewhat like V2's, they have a much more linear power/torque curve, and so never have that peakish kick that the in-line 4's tend to have. They'll make the same amount of power, but just deliver it without the top-end (seemingly) all-at-once rush.

I reckon the V4's would be faster off the mark, and faster to their top-speed, purely due to the more linear power delivery. Just like the V2's, they are deceptively quick even though they're "down on power", and the reason is because more of their power is useable through the rev range.
  14. Hmm, seems like a quantification of why they call the 'Blade "boring" in all the bike mags. Too useable=not exciting enough?
  15. Yeah, I reckon magazines do a bit of a dis-service to their readers by constructing reasons to separate one bike from the next.

I challenge anyone who rides a 250cc 4-stroke bike regularly, to jump onto a CBR1000RR for their first experience of a litre bike, and call it "boring".

Peaky rushing motors cater to the straight line kings, the ones who don't/can't appreciate the skill required in taking a bike to the feathered edge of traction around a corner. That's where the excitement lies (IMO - and not that I even classify myself as skilled enough yet to do that - it's something that I'm aspiring to). Give me tractable power any day and I'll make my own excitement on the edge, rather than just mindlessly turning the throttle in a straight line and getting some cheap excitement from a kick when the bike jumps from 100-150hp in the space of 1000rpm, which requires no skill at all.