Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When was my GPX bike built?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sharcy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

I just bought my first ever bike, and according to the people here I it is just the right one :) Already love my GPX.

I have one question though.
    The seller said she was built in 2007, but I have doubts and was checking for the type label/plate on the frame, but couldn't find it.

Where would I have to check for that info?

Thanks heaps,

2. On the head stem.
  3. It's pretty common for sellers to list the year the bike was first sold rather than the manufacture date.

On some bikes this can be close to 3 calendar years difference, so it is something to be aware of when buying a bike. It might not matter to you much, but the next buyer might be different.
  4. Somewhere on the bike there will be a compliance plate like the example below...

Attached Files:

5. Hi. Where are you from and where did you buy the bike?
  6. Some "less than reputable" dealers will even list the compliance date for an imported bike - so a 1988 built GPX/CBRR imported into the country in 2008 will be listed for sale as an 08 model.

That's obviously an extreme example, and the difference in condition would be obvious, but you get the point.
  7. Hey everyone,

first I want so send out a BIG Thank you to all of you for responding.

It's too dark by now, but I'll get on the search again tomorrow morning and look again in the described places.

Also thank for explaining about the tricks of the sellers. I actually bought the bike from the wife of a copper, so there's little doubt, but a friend who knows bikes implied he didn't believe mine was a 2007 model.

Well, we'll (hopefully) find out tomorrow :)
    If I don't, then I have another chance by asking my driving assessor when doing my test on wednesday hehe

@Robsalvv: I'm originally from Germany but live in rural W.A., that's where I bought the bike
  8. Didn't believe what? They only changed graphics in the 30 years they were in production...
  9. An original import will have a kawasaki compliance plate with the date of manufacture. A grey import will have an import company compliance plate and show the date the bike was made compliant to the ADR's.
  10. Hey guys,

it is really weird, but I have still not found that plate!
    I've had fellow bikers looking for it with me, but didn't help.

I'll have to get into investigating the bikes background, as I also did not get a service book etc. with it....

Thanks so far for your ideas
  11. If your gippy is the same as mine, the compliance plate will be on the upright immediately in front of the tank, lhs. So if you stand next to the bike on the left hand side, look just in front of the tank, and you should see the compliance plate hidden in there.
  12. Hey guys,

thanks to backmarker, I found it, yes!
    All the times before, we'd been checking for it while the bike was locked and the steering bar tilted to the left :)

So there IS a plate and it says 2004 built, but at least I know it now

Thanks heaps to all of you

Olly who is very happy to have bought a GPX, she's so great