Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When to take in for a service?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by geckom, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I recently bought a 2007 Honda CBF250 with 10,500km on the clock. I have been riding it every chance I get for the last 2 months and it is now at 12,000kms. It had a very good service when I got it at 10,500 but is ment to be serviced at 12,000(according to the user manual). Should I take it in for a service now or try for another 1,000-2,000kms?

Basically should I try to get the services back in line with the instructions in the manual, or should I just do them every 4,000kms as per their instructions.

2. Personally I would try and get it back on track with the service manual so you know what needs to be replaced when and so on.

You could probably just take it in for a check up and make sure everything is running well, at the very least maybe an oil change, and then run it out to your next service book service.

My $0.02.

3. If you are riding regularly wait until 18K Km for the next service. If you are 100% the service was done at 10.5K Km.
    K

4. haha so one for each, still cant decide. Might see how much its gonna cost for a service at team moto enoggera.

5. If you love your bike and don't want to chance reliability, then every 6,000km or 6 months. Which ever comes first !!!
    That's for your minor services. Oil, filter change and fluids check.
    If you are using a decent shop or doing it yourself, then the chain comes off and is cleaned and oiled. Same goes for the sprockets. Front comes off but not the rear. There is no reason to clean or lube your chain if you are going to leave all that crap behind the front sprocket cover and on the slide. It will just fall down on your new clean chain and acts like a grinding paste. A spray of degrease and a toothbrush, the jobs done in three minutes.
    Then a tension check on all the bolts. This is where a T bar set is gold.
    Do not over tighten all those 10mm bolts. Or any for that matter.
    If you here a pop there is a good chance your have gone to far and cracked it or worse what you were bolting it too..

If you can learn these basic mechanics you will save a fortune. Forget doing your majors yourself. You need a good mechanical knowledge for them.

There really should be more classes on this. Basic maintenance. Just for the safety of it. I've heard liability concerns. But i doubt it. Surely put through Tafe or some affiliate ???
    Like here in Qld I can take a complete newbie and give him a license in three days ???? One day if they can do all that the authorities require. Use to be an open if they were older than 26 or had held a car license for more than three years.
    So I really cant see why doing a basic maintenance course could have liability issue if I don't.

Bike shops think they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing them.
    For mine I think it would get more people in the shop. Let the vultures do what they do best. I think the shop would come out in front.