Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When to shift?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by garudabird, Jan 15, 2016.

1. I don't drive a manual car so my bike is my first experience with manually changing gears. I can change gears no problems, but my question is are we supposed to be just changing up nicely and keeping things quiet and sensible or are we supposed to be wringing the neck out of it and redlining with every shift as we accelerate on the open road, from roundabouts, in traffic, and from lights? I guess you could do either, but I am more wondering what say most of you guys do - what's normal? Does the bike like to be 'on the limit' like that?

2. Whatever feels good. If you want to get technical, find a torque map for your bike, locate the RPM range where peak torque is delivered and keep the RPMs in that range.

If you're lugging the engine, it will tell you.

3. Have you eve ridden a push bike with gears?

Treat it like your own body. When feel like the engine is struggling with the gear your in, drop it down a gear.

Redlining is for when you are going as fast as you can, not something you do often on a commute unless you ride a 125.

4. Depends on what you ride. Very torquey bikes with a wide power band allow you to be fairly lazy about your changes. Smaller bikes you need to be far more active with your gearbox changes. If the bike is screaming change up, if it is lugging then change down. You can seriously effect your performance and fuel usage by your change behaviour. Bike Power/Torque curves generally generate their best performance at higher rev ranges so if you are looking for performance let the bike wind out up to higher revs, before Redline of course, and if you are looking to commute, be quiet/discreet and save fuel then short shift.

Experiment with your bike and see how it behaves.

5. Yeh ring it's neck.

6. My bike is a ninja 300

7. Ok I agree with itchinitchin then wring its neck. Smaller bikes need to keep the revs up to get the most fun. So leave your shifts late, up near the red line. Of course there is a time and a place, winding it out hard from lights when a Highway patrol car is alongside you is probably counter productive. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ride it in 3rd at low revs, then flatten it. You will find a "surge" of acceleration. Use the upper end of this rev range to change up. But if you're only tootling, anywhere will do unless the bike starts "snatching".

9. I like a good snatch ing

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Thanks guys. Yeah a time and place for everything - sometimes it's best not to draw attention to yourself as they say.
    Cheers

11. Unless there's a hot chick watching (y)(y)

12. Impressed by a Ninja 300?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. She doesn't know what brand or size it is. All she knows is there is a rebellious rapscallion ready to take her panties off at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bit late to this thread but

15. I was thinking the exact same thing

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. you would be sorely mistaken then

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Rev the little bastard 'til it won't go any faster, then change up ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. re: gear change technique: apart from F.H.R.I.T.Pussy, kickstarting, cunnilingi (or teabagging - whateva y'r inta), a little tank slap & a decompression lever we're into pre-loading. NO ... I didn't say blowing your load all over the gel-grip seat or grinding the bejesus out of a frikken hex nipple, I said pre-loading & not the front forks either.
    Duckduckgo (or google) it.
    You can hear riders who have perfected this technique. Apart from the perfectly normal & embarrassing false gear changes or dry clutch antics it's a pleasure to witness & experience. Takes a while to perfect & I'd suggest a one on one session with retired track or trainer dude/dudette if your serious about riding style.
    Cheers.

19. Have to agree with this, sports bike screams boy racer - couple of laps and needs a lie down
    Cruiser riders however - class, experience, in for the long haul

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. cool story bro

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1