Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When to service a bike that hardly gets used?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by azi, Apr 23, 2008.

1. My bike would probably do less than 3000km per year and spends most of its time sitting in the garage. It gets ridden perhaps once a week or once a fortnight just to keep the engine healthy and the battery charged.

How often do you think the oil and oil filter should be changed? Every 6 months no matter what the km, or only after a set number of km?
  2. I'd say every 5,000km, but that would mean 18 mths in your case.
    If You dont ride it for the joy of riding, then why don't you sell it to someone who'll actually use it :roll:

Sorry, but I cant see the point.
  3. + 1

Let it have the love it needs!
  4. Harsh VCM, you don't know Azi's circumstances, I know it was only meant as encouragement :?

Hi Azi I would say every six months,although oils plus additives are more stable than they once were over time they still do deteriorate. You could probably delay filter changes if you are not doing the k's.

If you can manage it try and get out on rides more Azi, latch on to one of the Netrider group rides.

5. every 3-4 months. i, too, get stuck neglecting my babies at certain times of year.
  6. Who cares how often he rides his bike FFS. At least he rides.

As for service intervals probably every 6 months max.
  7. Not harsh at all ..
    does he?
    I was trying to make a point. :roll:
    I'm in the same boat with my car. It doesnt get driven, except to keep the battery up etc.. Hense I am going to sell it shortly, hopefully to someone who will actually get some use out of it.
    The point being .. it's a sad waste.
  8. Someone please tell me the difference in oil sitting in a bottle to oil sitting in a bike engine. Unused.
    Change it when you have done the required number of kms. However -when you do start the bike, make sure you run the engine long enough so it reaches normal operating temperature.
  9. One is sealed, the lighter hydrocarbons cannot evaporate off, and moisture cannot enter, the other is in the bike...
    If the bike is used regularly, the moisture will evaporate off. If it sits in storage for long times it won't, and some internal corrosion may happen. Being ridden once a week will probably stop 90% of this as long as some heat is put into the engine.

That said, the newer oils are pretty stable, as long as you give it a good hot run every so often, there wont be any problems.

10. Bzzt.
    Oil that has circulated in an engine has picked up contaminants, and some of those contaminants are acidic in nature. It will also have been doluted by fuel.
    Plus, an engine's crankcase is not sealed like an oil bottle, it is exposed to changes in temperature, and this allows air containing moisture to move in and out of the crankcase.
    Every 4 months would do me, but if you're not riding it much, I'd just use something cheapish, no need for oil with pretty pictures of motorcycles in the OP's case.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. ^^
    spot on.
  12. Thanks for the feedback.... sounds like 6 monthly, regardless of km, is the way to go.
  13. Mate -if the oil you're using has hydrocarbons that will evaporate off at normal room temperature, then I think you have some pretty big issues with the oil you're using :LOL: :LOL:

Well then, if we are to go by your post, we should all be changing our oil after every ride on our bikes. Rust never sleeps you know. I have seen metal get pretty rusted & corroded after sitting for a couple of weeks exposed to the weather :LOL: :LOL:
    Seriously, there are additives in the oil to neutralise the acids that are formed as a byproduct of the combustion proccess. I can't see the difference if it sits for a week or a year. One of my bikes has sat for about 2 years with the same old oil in it, then started & flogged within an inch of its life for the next 1000 or so kms. Still yet to use a drop of oil or suffer catastrophic engine failure :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  14. that looks like a very tidy katana mate.something like that deserves more use. :)
  15. You're a fcuking moron, and this post quote above proves it.
    You have NO KNOWLEDGE of the point of discussion, but you want to get into a pissing match about it, just for the sake of being right, or having the last word??

Regards, Andrew.
  16. No pissing match happening here :shock: :shock: Simply relaying my personal experience. not what I think might or might not happen, but what I have personally witnessed & experienced myself. If that makes me a moron then so be it :roll: :roll: :roll: If you want to throw away perfectly good oil & filters, go for your life.

PS -it is oil we are talking about here is it not? Not brake fluid by any chance :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: