Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When to replace battery?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by alleyway, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hi,

Just wondering how long a bike battery should last? Bought my bike second hand and assume the battery is the original (so about 3 years old) but the bike doesn't have a huge amount of km on it.

Battery has gone dead twice since I've had it so wondering whether to buy a trickle charger or just replace the battery?

Thanks guys,
  2. Both ideas would be the option, but if its gone flat a couple of times, you have obviously charged it up at some point, and it still died, so therefore it's time to get a new battery....

Would you want to be on a ride somewhere and not have it start....
  3. There are a number of tests you can do to check a battery:
    Use a multimeter to determine voltage, when loaded (cranking) and unloaded.
    Have the battery load tested by a mechanic/autoelec/battery retailer.
    And a couple of other ways that won't apply to a bike that is only three years old (I'm assuming it has a sealed battery).

But as it's three years old, you can probably just save yourself the hassle and buy a new one.
  4. If it's not holding charge when the bike is left for a week, then replace it.
  5. Electrolyte at appropriate level? Thats your first check. Top with distilled water, or sulphuric acid if you have any. If it still doesn't give you love then replace it.

If you do lots of short trips (less than 15 minutes) then that may also be a factor.

End of the day, replacement isn't a big deal and won't cost you the earth.

CHeers - boingk
  6. What ibast said.

And, if you own a motor vehicle, you need a battery charger, regardless of whether you buy a new battery or not.

Yes, I know this is the opinion of a reactionary old fart.
  7. and a jump start thingo, well worth it.
  8. Amen to both post above, sooner or later you'll need a jump start or a battery recharged, and without the appropriate items you're pretty much screwed.

I should also add that it is entirely possible to revive a sulphated (gone solid) battery, if it isn't too far gone, by topping the fluids and placing on an overnight charge. Take care to ensure it isn't someplace that may start a fire, and that any fumes that build up won't get ignited.

- boingk
  9. Thanks for the advice guys - battery replaced! :)