Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When to change drive belt

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by fundies, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Mod Note: Please don't post the title all in capitals or your post may be deleted :) -
    Cheers
    Flipper

Just wondering how long the drive belts last on a scoot before needing replacement. Ive got a Bolwell Arriba 125cc which has nearly 5000km trouble free so far. Im just about to do the 5000km service myself (check valve clearance etc.). I have noticed a slight shudder in the driveline when taking off sometimes. Do other people with scoots get this? What else needs attention whilst changing the belt (e.g. greasing any specific parts etc) Cheers. :grin:

2. i've got a hotted up honda today 50, it had 7000km when i changed belt as rollers were worn as well, it wasn't needed, doesn't matter, i got a kelvar belt now, anyway, if you look in your manual, it tells you the min width of belt before replacing.. as for your shudder, it could be anything, things i do every 1500-3000km are, clean belt, variator, clutch and rollers. i also grease the clutch slide every 4000-5000km.... so in all, you might want to clean and check everything..
    also note, i used to get a shudder on take off cause my clutch got some grease on it, my fault..lesson learnt, never put more grease in bearing than the manual says.

hope this helps you

3. Thanks ace2. How do you clean the belt,rollers etc. Cheers.

4. i use a cheap arse degreaser, then wash in water and blown off with water...

5. Thanks Ace2. Will strip it down at 5000km and have a good look and clean.