Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

when to accept I bought a Lemon and live with it ?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by watertrade, Oct 31, 2006.

1. HI Guys,
    I'm hoping to get some advice from some more experienced riders than myself ( which isn’t hard) I have had a few problems with a bike I purchased and have had real problems with both the dealer and the manufacturer. I will keep the whole saga brief and leave out the Dealers name and Brand of bike just to keep things fair… For the time being…

I have had my license since February 2006 – I purchased a brand new 2006 bike in February from a local dealer.
    I had the bike for about 2/3 weeks (500km) when a noise started to appear in the engine mainly when I was slowing down and idling - something like a random/intermittent tapping.

I took it to dealer who recommended I wait until the first 1000km service.
    I waited until the service, asked them to fix it – it came back with the same noise. They said it wasn’t going to do any damage and that I shouldn’t worry.

I tried to forget about it and rode on for about another 1000Km. I took it back – they sent me away again and explained that it could be a few things and that it might go away as the bike wears in.

I went to see another dealer of the same bike who pretty much agreed with me that the noise shouldn’t be there and that they could have a look but it would cost me.

I take it back to the dealer who reluctantly had another look at it and with consultation with the manufacturer replaced the cams – as there has been issue with this particular bike and cam end float.

I got the bike back. 20km later the noise is back. I call the dealer and they tell me they have done everything they can do… they have done what the manufacturer asked then too.. They can’t do anything else.

I take it to another local mechanic for its 6000Km service he hears me pull into the drive way and meets me at the door with a smile “ ahhh…the noisey XXX “ he does the service and recommends I go straight back to the dealer and demand they fix it once and for all.

As I wasn’t getting any joy with the dealer I call the manufacturer and explain the situation. The first guy I get explains that they can’t be responsible for every bike of theirs and that not all noises can be explained. So pretty much get used to it.” It isn’t cost effective to fix every noise…”

I call back another week later and get another guy who books me into the dealer for more explorative work. On this particular occasion this new guy was very helpful.

I take it into the dealer who has the bike for three weeks. They replaced the cam chain tensioner. I rode it away yesterday and the noise was back after about 40 km.

Now…. I will be back at the dealers tomorrow to the noise again. I’m expecting to get the usual response. And I expect that the manufacturer will probably try and get rid of me too.

At what stage do I accept I’ve bought a lemon and sell it at a much reduced price because no one wants to buy a 2nd hand bike with a mystery noise?

I would really appreciate any advice on this I’m pretty much ready to roll this thing off a bridge and collect the insurance.

Cheers & sorry about the length of the post!