Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When there are no more sprockets left in hell.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by barnacle, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hey so short and skinny,
    need new sprokets chain for my POS YAMAHA FZX250 zeal. No-body makes things for zeals anymore :( . (message slipstream performance about there 428 sproket and chain kits for the zeal they had up online to which they replied they didnt sell any for the zeal and imediatly took their zeal stuff off their site. lol at me. )

only thing they had up now was a 520 conversion set.

ordered the 520 set drive and driven sprokets some chain.

new rear sproket isnt dished.. original sproked is dished out 'bout 4mm.. oh no

havent got the gear from the mailman yet but.. how would i go about spacing it out? get someone to macheine me a ring of steel with some bolt holes to push it out? not worry depending on the chain line?

anyone one have some experience with such prolem or is their a usual way of takling these things?

these are the spox i ordered fyi?

2. There's always the wreckers??
  3. #3 MV, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Is it dished on the inner or the outer of the sprocket? If it's the outer, no problems, the inner faces will line up as normal.

Chain Gang will make a custom sprocket for whatever you want, bit $$$, but supposed to be good though:

(Also, if you're just going off the photos, they may just be stock photos.)
  4. As in second hand sprokets? kind defeats the perpose doesnt it? no really does it? my the teeth on mine are starting to shatter so ide say it origanal sprokets reused.

5. Yeah looked at chain gang but yeah $$$ specialy for ones with curves starting to get to the point were a new bike would be cheaper.

The dishing goes from the hub out. moving the teeth out about 4mm

this image is from a guy on kiwi biker but it does show you the idea

and yeah i got them to send over the specs (tis flat)

if i can figure out wich jt part # it is ill post up the specs
  6. Really? Never seen that. Mostly they just wear. Maybe you've got some other problem.

Given your bike, search .jp sites.
  7. Well it's subject to a visual inspection. An old zeal with new sprockets could have been wrecked. If you haven't asked you don't know.
  8. If you are able to measure the actual depth of the dish, it should be a gvery easy job to mill a spacer for any competent machinist (look up machine shops in your area).

Basically, you start with a flat piece of steel plate (or aluminium if you prefer) and mill the holes you require - sprocket mounting holes, centre bore, outside diameter. Then the entire piece can be milled down to thickness.

Might cost a few bucks, but it's a one-off job.

Alternative is to get X number of spacer tubes cut (which you can do yourself - cut them oversize, then manually file down to the correct length).

9. yeah that was my first thought. Im handy but no engineer. But i take it thoughs chains and sprokets are under a suprisingly high load maybe 20kn. with a spacer moving the force out on the bolts and not hard connected to sproket or hub. would it all take it? looks like harleys have the same thing done somtimes. wounder if people have a lot of sucess with it.
  10. True true. i got my order in for the 520s so ill see how the modding goes. you probly had the better idea in hindsight.
  11. I believe using a spacer would be just fine. We're only talking ~4mm after all. The machine spacer would be the preferred solution.
  12. Shatter might be a bit much. the chains pitch has changed enough that it rides the top of the teeth by the time it makes it round the sproket. and snaps bits off the top of the thinning teeth making it les sproket shaped and more circle-ish :p

13. oh yeah and ive had a look at someof the places ive had success with before webike japan etc. no sign of fronts and rears for 100 smackers but again flat. and at that price ide just get some boat building friends to try and lath up some replacements. anywho i got these 520 conversions comming now so first attack is trying to get them to sit in a line.
  14. yeah i call it that way to. time to see how much cad i remember.
  15. Have you got an old sprocket? How about grinding the teeth of that to reduce the overall circumference? Would make a suitable spacer, no? Might need to overlay two of them to get the thickness you need, but that's easy enough. After all, you only need some basic measurements to be correct.

16. well ive got the old sproket thats on there. would have to grind it all the way back to just beyond the bolt holes to get rid of the dishing slash make it not look too bush machanic. easier to just get someone to make up a steel ring with some through holes me thinks. i was just chatting to a machienist who does some work with boat building he said it be an easy job just gave him the dimentions. trouble is hes happly tooting roud the myall river for a while on his new boat, i can wait. solid plan though.