Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

when should i ask for an RWC?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by twainharte, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. confused!

    question: if a bike with x amount of rego left on it is being sold should i be asking for a RWC?

    reason i ask is during my search for a bike privately i've come across people who are willing to get an RWC(with several mths rego left on it) and others that say "mate, it's already registered, it doesn't need an RWC!". can someone set me straight!

  2. You need a RWC to transfer registration from one owner to another.

    If the bike is registered, the seller must provide a RWC on the sale of the bike.

    If the bike is unregistered, the buyer must provide a RWC when re-registering the bike.

    If the seller is trying to sell it to you with a RWC but with rego then they're either ignorant or trying to sell you a lemon.
  3. heya twainharte,
    i notice your from sydney (nsw),
    so you may want to disregard any advice from us victorians.

    (RTA (nsw) and VicRoads (vic) have different regulations)
  4. ah... thought RWCs were a vic only thing. yeah. Ignore the above...
  5. Same rules in brisbane, no RWC no transfer.
  6. It's not a requirement in NSW to have a pink slip (RWC or vehicle safety check report) to transfer the registration of the vehicle as these are required each year when the registration is renewed (unless the vehicle is less than 3 years old)

    Before you buy a bike, make sure you also do a REVS check and that the the registration is current with the RTA. You can do your REVS check online @ http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/ and call the RTA on 13 22 13