Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When others opinions matter

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by robbie55, Jun 17, 2009.

1. I've narrowed my choices down to two bikes that are not the most popular, namely the Guzzi Breva 750 and Aprilia Mana. Reasons for choosing them I would happy describe but essentially I am trying to weigh up which of the two would offer a better resale value down the track.
    Given that most riders shudder at the thought of an auto option on a bike I'm assuming the Mana would be the worse of the two but parrallels with the Ferrari transmission (and the fact they are selling more autos than manuals now) and that other models such as the DN01 arriving suggest there may be shift that may prop up this bikes value in the years to come.
    Just wanted to see what the general thoughts were.

2. If it's resale value you're after, stay well clear of the Italian brands, then.
  3. Wow, why those two bikes? Plenty of bikes offer good resale, you've chosen two weird and very different contenders.

I don't think auto bikes are going to take over any time soon. Moto GP still uses essentially the same transmission style as current road bikes.

I love guzzis more than anything, but the unfortunate truth is the 750 guzzis are a waste of money. The engine only has 50hp, the same as a GS500, for twice the price.

Given it's a new, niche product, the resale of the mana is unknown at this point, but it's a better bike than the breva.

Ignorant opinion.

Guzzi's are still expensive after they've done hundreds of thousands of kilometres, they have resale similar to BMW's. There are no cheap ones.
  4. I'm not actually looking for resale value by itself but it may help me decide between the two.

In terms of the Breva I know its not powerful especially for the money but I'm not really basing my purchase on horsepower. Are there any other factors that make you say its a waste of money?

I have been looking at the Guzzi's for a while both the 750 and 850 and really from what I can see they tend only to be losing less than $3500 within their first two years. I would have thought that was actually quite good in terms of resale value for a new bike.
  5. The 750 Guzzi motor has bags of torque. The technology is all proven.

The Mana is by all reports a good bike, but less of a known quantity in a number of ways.

While the Breva is a decent enough handler for what it is, the Aprilia is undoubtedly sportier.
  6. What factors make you think it's worth the money? Lovely bikes, but so expensive for what it is.

The 850 guzzis are another matter, much more modern engine, definitely worthwhile buy, though a big step up in price again.

As a percentage of their original retail, they don't depreciate much, but that original retail price is so very high, for what is really a fairly basic motorcycle.

7. Depends on if the bike is a garage queen or actually ridden.
    Depends on the brand.
    Depends on how quickly you want to sell.
    Depends on how much the owner kids themselves on how much it is really worth.

For me on the Duc and Prila, i factored in 60% depreciation after 2yrs (assume the worst). From there the value will basically flat line so the longer i keep it the cheaper it becomes.

Out of the 2 choices i would go with the Mana :grin:
  8. I like the 750 for its size, riding positon/comfort, shaft drive, the ability to take a pillion every now and then (ie it has a seat for a pillion) and looks. Overall it is a greater fit for me than other bikes that have been recommended such as the monster and F800s. Essentially I want something that is going to be a real easy commuter and something that I can head out of town on for a few days. I wouldn't say no to extra horsepower but so long as its got some power for longer freeways runs I'm happy. Its obvioulsy not for the track but I don't intend to use it for that or to fang along streets at high speeds. So hp doesn't figure highly on my list of wants from a bike.

The 850 I do love and if I was just going to use it just on the weekend it would be fine, but would honestly find it a bit of a pain through town, so at this stage have ruled it out. I know many others commute on larger bikes everday but I know it just wouldn't work for me (although there is also a cheap 2006 griso that is looking at me).

Interesting to read the comments (such as Mr Ignorants) about the Mana as well, I think there may be a slight shift. When I went to look at one about a year ago there were a group of other riders that actually started laughing when they found out it had an auto transmission, the sales guy wasn't all that able to hide his contempt as well. But more recently people have been able to say "its not for me but has some good points" etc. Wouldn't hold my breath in the hope they will become mainstream any time soon but from where I stand I think there may be some acceptance of this bike and similar ones in the medium term.
  9. the thought of a auto box really worries me, cause people without skill will gravitate to them and if you don't feel confident enough to use a gearbox and ride at the same time you have no place on a bike imo.

It like I don't think there should be such thing as an auto only license for cars either, all these young kids now get them and can't drive to save themselves. Should be manual or nothing when if comes to getting a license.

Auto's in cars are a somewhat different scenario though I think..

Anyway I'd not touch the Mana, and Italian bikes can hold their value fine, well thats been my experience with Ducati. But it could be model Dependant.
  10. Katana 1100 gets my nod for resale value :LOL:

Italian bikes........... nothing new but there are a couple of classics.

My advice. Buy the bike you want to ride now and stuff the resale.
  11. Yeah trouble is I want to ride them both now but budget doesn't allow two bikes. Thought that I might be able to reason my way out of the decision by saying at least x will offer a better resale value than y.
  12. Robbie, Shiver 750.

The 750 Breva is the older tech motor and the 4v Guzzi motors are a significant step forward.

The Mana seems to be a good urban bike by all accounts but I fear you would tire of having to unload the bike to refuel if you were heading out for a few days (fuel is filled under the pillion seat).

The Shiver 750 is like an up-spec more powerful SV650. It will do anything you want to do while offering a good ownership experience. Check one out and I think you may find it suitable for you.
  13. The thought of a bike with a six-speed constant mesh gearbox, electric start and electronic ignition really worries me. People without skill will gravitate to them and if you're not confident enough to kick start a modern litre bike, use a handshift gearbox and foot operated suicide clutch, while manually advancing the igntion, you have no place on the road imo.
  14. lmao, good one. I really can't see people without skill heading toward the Mana. If they were concerned about their ability I could see them getting a scooter for its size and transmission but not the Mana. In reality given that its not really a respected bike the sort of riders who would consider one (myself included) are really just looking for the convenience plus its really just too expensive to consider for people that aren't really passionate.

Also thanks for the note about the Shiver, I have had a look and sat on one but the stores that I went to didn't have a demo to test ride. I probably too quickly ruled them out as they are not as comfortable or small as the Breva for the around town stuff (for me anyway) but have read some good reviews about them. Good price too IMO and does tick a lot of the boxes in terms of what I'm looking for. Perhaps I need to go over my options again.
    If anyone would like to throw in others I'll consider it if they address the following;
    *Small enough - both in overall size and seat height less than 800mm - to make a good commuter
    *Relatively light clutch and upright riding position (chronic shoulder and hand issues but only really an issue after about 30mins around town)
    *Luggage options that don't look like an after thought. (mainly top box though)
    *Prefer naked Vtwin.
    *Good bit of character (I can appreciate the value and reliability that most japanese bikes offer but they're all a bit the same to me, no offence to each his own. Still throw them in if they meet the above)
    * Not the monster, sv or F800s (already def out for various reasons)
    * Can be flexible on price but would prefer less than $15k on road
  15. Why not Monster 1100? They are a great bike for your criteria. You can get factory storage (tail bag) that clips right onto the bike using the seat cowl mechanism. That same tail bag also zips out and be a backpack when you leave the bike.
  16. No bike will have any guarenteed resale vale as it is totally up to the next buyer to set the price. the bike has nothing to do with it. the japanese manufactures will prostitute their own product by discounting new bikes when sales drop.
    As for auto transmissions CVT was banned from formular one for being to fast. It cut over 3 seconds off lap times the main reason its not used in motorsport. honda have a number of autos under development and some in use including the flagship goldwing on the way. aprillia have one as you know thanks to Piaggio being the owner and suzuki have one.
    Have a think what you want the bike to do for you and you will probably find one rises to the top fo the list
  17. Along with the Breva 750, also take a look at the California and the V7 Classic. Both are also Guzzi 750's with the V7 being quite new and fairly highly regarded in the reviews I've read.
  18. I thought about a breva 750 but the specs are similar to the cheaper jap 650's so I went that way and don't regret it (unless I hear a guzzi next to me).
  19. Yeah there seems to be some real conflicting arguments about this. Perhaps some are ill informed or I have been misinformed but apparently they all carry the exact same engine and the dealers are saying the V7 and breva 750 are the same bike only with different tanks and seats.

That being said people seem more confident to recommend the V7 rather than the Breva. Perhaps there's more to it than I know at this stage.

Still I do love the retro look of the V7 but between it and the Breva, I'd pick the Breva (assuming my account above is correct).
  20. I think there's more difference than that. Running gear, electronics and so on. There's spoked wheels on the V7 for a start. They're all based on the same engine and some other main components. I haven't heard anything about the California, but it seems like an Americanised Breva.

Best do some research online and scour some of the Guzzi forums for some insider info on the differences like weight etc. The prices here should give some indication on the relative spec. We don't seem to have the Cafe Racer version of the V7 here (yet), which is a shame too. They are all nice and smallish as well.

Keep in mind that there's probably some easy extra go on offer with some tweaking, though an owner tells me that roll-on performance is surprisingly strong. And they sound glorious.

Another apparent benefit of the auto Mana is very good economy, though the little Guzzi twin should be decent too, with long term ownership costs likely to be low (thanks in part to the shaft drive).