Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When NOT to use thread lock

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Painless, Nov 9, 2009.

1. My Clymer manual suggests that all screw/bolt fixings on a bike should have loctite or a thread lock applied. Are there any exceptions to this rule or times when it can't be applied for one reason or another?

2. There are different strengths of Loctite/thread lock. As a general rule, using one that just prevents the fitting from vibrating loose can't hurt, but don't use the "this will bond your nuts to a flag pole" versions everywhere.

Some of the bolts on my Ducati require grease on them, rather than Loctite. Many require a normal thread locker, some require high temperature thread locker, some require nothing.

It really is best to have a Workshop Manual and do what it suggests. I guess the Clymer manuals don't include the same information that a Workshop Manual does, if it suggests all fittings should have Loctite. Have you searched forums for your bike to see if you can find a PDF version of the Workshop Manual? Forum members often share them around.
  3. i changed the original bolts on my bike to coloured aftermarket ones. what i did was, if i saw threadlock used on the original bolt, i would use threadlock on the replacement. applying a little bit of medium threadlocks should be ok,
    it doesnt take alot of force to loosen it up again if you have too. just dont over/under torque the bolts. i use loctite blue.
  4. Does it need to be undone? Grease.
    Does it need to stay done up? Thread lock.
    Does it need to be undone but would suck if it came undone by itself? Lock wired.

But really, just RTFM.
  5. wtf? What type of bike is it? I had a Laverda twin that vibrated like crazy and it could have done with loctite on most bolts, but most bikes only need loctite on a few key bolts.

Brakes come to mind.
  6. Loctite should never be used as a fuel additive.

Hope this helps.
  7. y not? doesnt it save fuel by keeping the fuel in your tank???

8. Everything needs to stay done up and yes, the manufacturer will tell you what they reckon should be done to a thread.

The guys with singles (or any hardley) will tell you that when they get sick of stuff vibrating off that there are three general types of thread lock adhesive.

One for stuff that will never ever come apart.
    One for stuff that might need to come apart but you'll never have to deal with it on the side of the road - this stuff can require a nuclear heat source and 3 oxen attached to a 20' breaker bar but it is still removable.
    One for stuff that needs to be removed without hassle.

If you have stuff that moves but shouldn't, then the third type is probably for you. If you've never had a problem with it coming apart, then don't use it.

Any fastener explicitly required to have an anti-seize compound or grease or oil applied (to get the correct torque) is probably not meant to have thread lock applied.