Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

when is to old to ride a bike ????

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by kingy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Unsure if this has been asked before...

but when are you 2 old or when should you hang up your helmet ???

reason i ask is i went to a customers workshop today to find a nice looking Fatboy out the front, i have never seen it there before.. (me being a harley lover i liked the look of it)..
    anyway i walk inside and seen this bloke decked head to toe in harley gear looked to be in his 70s.. i was polite and said " Hey mate nice harley out the front looks the goods".. he ingores me.. im thinking typical harley owner lol (yes im a harley owner aswell).. so i asked again but said " looks in good nick mate what yr model" i get a replay of.. " HUH you talking to me mate i have lost 80% of my hearing". i just nodded and walked over to the other side of the counter..
    the Mechanic that was looking after him comes out with his Parts he ordered and placed them in his hands... the old bloke is looking at his hands asking what they look like as he is 70% blind....

so here I'm thinking why is this bloke still on a bike ??? how can the RTA give him a licence ?????

2. ohhh btw I'm not saying everyone in there 70s shouldn't be on a bike.. but there has to be some point in your life where you think I'm a danger to the public to be either on a bike or in a cage...

3. Being deaf and blind have nothing to do with age.....

In fact I don't think being deaf stops you from holding a licence at any age.

4. Age is just a number. The correct question to ask is about competency.

Edit: Which I see you did in your second post.. all good :)

5. The 80% deaf he can compensate for. The 70% blind is a worry.

Couple of years ago I watched a couple of old guys - full leathers - hobble (literally) out of the Motorcycle Show with bags of goodies, help each other throw a leg over their ancient classic bikes... and kick-start 'em. Must have been 80 if they were a day.

I was lost in admiration, and frankly, I hope they go out riding (but not yet).

6. Hearing loss has only an incidental effect on ability to ride safely and can be compensated for. Sight loss is another matter. However, although the deterioration in this guy's senses are probably age related it is the deterioration, not the age itself which is a problem.

So no, I don't think there is an age at which it inherently becomes impossible to ride safely. It's not so much the case here, but I came across enough old farts in the UK who were quite capable of handing me my youthful arse on a plate with regard to all aspects of riding ability that I wouldn't presume to make that particular call.

There are certainly physical infirmities that can make life difficult as muscle mass and bone density drop off, but lighter bikes, electric starters, sidecars etc can and have all compensated to a greater or lesser extent.

Crashing hurts more as one gets older (take it from me, it does :D) but the experience at not doing so increases too. In my mid-40s I'm fairly good at not dying. In another 30 years I'l be fuckin' world class at it :twisted:.

• Like Like x 2
  7. i was not really about his age but with blindness and deafness normally comes with age along with other things.... i know a few old blokes that would run rings around myself and young stoner wannabes..... has to be a point at some stage where you think i better give this up...

8. Loud pipes save... Wait,

Loud pipes save lives!

& ruin hearing, apparently. :)

When I'm too old to see would be the kicker for me.

9. the problem is that people let their pride get in the way. I saw it with my own father (he was only in his 60's but was rather ill), and sometimes it's not easy to convince them giving up driving or riding.

10. I suspect I'll never 'give up' riding, I'll probably just find myself too old and infirm to actually ride one day.

I remember pillioning a nice old gent in Tassie on my Triumph Sprint ST, he was the grand father of a friend of mine. I'd assumed he was seventy something and we got to talking about the Triumph's he'd owned and he mentioned he missed riding. We got to talking about older bikes and he looked a bit surprised that I knew as much as I did about bikes from the 60's and I said that his group probably had an annoying kid belonging to one of the guys hanging around asking questions about the bikes and pestering people for a pillion ride... oh and that kid was probably me ;-)

I said in passing if he didn't mind sitting on the pillion seat I was happy to take him for a spin (since all those guys put up with me back then) and his face lit up so I turn the bike around, he hops on the pillion seat (with some help from his son who was fairly dubious by this stage) and off we head.

We went for a spin out of town and down the highway at 100kph for about 10 minutes and took the back way returning through some gentle curves.

We arrived back safe and sound and he thanked me, said it was the best thing he'd done for years.

I asked how long since he gave up riding? He said... oh about 15 years ago when he was 80 *gulp*.

Turns out the guy was 95 and he was talking and daydreaming about getting a small bike again when I left *grin*

So yah... like him I reckon I'll never really stop being a motorcyclist :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. You're clearly too old to ride a bike when you have to ask "when is to old to ride a bike ????"

12. My brother-in-law did his first "Iron Butt" when he was 69 ...

13. Im only a youngun, 63, I cant see whats written on an invoice, with out reading glasses, or what that part is if its small,
    I have industrial deafness, 11 % last time I had it checked.

Unless its physically impossible for me to ride, I will be too old when they prise my cold dead fingers from the bars,

I forgot to add in, that my long vision is above excellent,

• Like Like x 2
  14. Many of us will reach an age where we're no longer safe or competent. At that point we should stop.

Speaking just for myself, the day I'm so physically and/or mentally diminished that even I acknowledge I'm a danger to myself and everybody else, there's likely to be strong temptation to go for one last ride.

15. If you have a medical condition that has an effect of riding or driving the medico will inform the RTA of that effect.I had an eye problem a couple of years ago and I asked and was told if it was a problem they deal with it.A cousin had an epileptic fit and had to go for a period of time without problems before she could drive again.Problem is its up to the individual to comply,get pulled over and you are in trouble but I bet some just do it anyway.I am in my mid 50s and have a leg problem,so the nice big touring seat is going back on,keeps my knee straighter.Got to keep riding.

16. I'm only a young fella (25)and love seeing old blokes on bikes. i think Wow what bike stories do they have to tell. so many years in the saddle. i have had 2 hip replacements a knee reconstruction broken my back. all from bikes. but i can't see me ever not having 1 in my garage.

17. Huh? Whatssat you say sonny? There is a hole in the dyke you say ?

18. Problem is kingy, you may continue riding/driving when you still YOU still think you are ok.

My old man, I am convinced is in the early stages of dementia, but he still drives. I would not get in a a car with him driving. He should not be allowed on the road, but he is still there. He thinks he is ok.

19. I guess the problem comes down to the point, when do you think you can't ride any longer. Unfortunately, that's often well past the point others (in particular immediate family) think you should give up riding.

My father-in-law fell asleep at the wheel last year, came off the road, hit a tree and fractured his neck. He had to have a neck brace for 6 months, after which he went back to get his licence. Just had to do an eye test. We (family and I) believe he shouldn't drive any longer and I think he is now slowly coming to the point where he acknowledges this. But originally, he felt himself still well capable of driving.

The same applies to riding imo. We may feel that we are still able to ride, but are we really? Will be a tough one to admit to yourself when the time comes and sometimes we have to rely on others to give us the little hint. :)

20. Piss off or I will sic my Dinosaur onto you, Hahahahha