Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When is it too late to change careers ?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ychinchin, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hey guys

I am considering a change to IT.
    Been working in a bank doing operations type of work. Just started a new role for about 2 months and its made me realise how much I dislike this job.
    I have always enjoyed my computer and technology and also enjoy technical more hands on kind of work.

You guys reckon I should make the move or just suck it up and stick to where I am now ? I kind of just fell into it, I never planned on being in the bank.
    So .... been thinking for the last 4 weeks or so and I am seriously considering going back to study to move into IT.
    I was originally thinking of doing TAFE course part time, then getting a junior role and picking up some certs towards a MCITP.

Thoughts ?
  2. You spend a vast majority of your life at work. Do something you like. Even better if you love it, but I can't seem to find a professional sleeping job.

Perhaps internal transfer to IT role within your current organisation? My suggestion would be to look at job advertisements for roles you might be interested in, and see what sort of qualifications they are looking for. Then you can plan to be certified in areas that will be useful to obtaining the job. After you get the job, certs are basically pointless.
  3. I was a chef from 16. It was good, it took me around the world playing.
    Shoite hit the fan when I turned 38 and fete made me become an instructor. Long story.
    Moral is never mate. It's never too late. You only get one spin on the world as far as I know. Make the most of it and be happy.
  4. internal transfer is a wise move, keep the years you've clocked up, and gain experience without 'instant' job pressure [in a new role]
    and as said above, you spend a shitload of time at work, mate you gotta enjoy it!!
  5. Never leave a bank job. Its very secure and they normally have your back if your life ever turns to crap. You do have to put up with morons around you though...
  6. I left a bank job in IT. Best thing I ever did. Have now completed a trade as a boilermaker and loving it
  7. Hey! We're not all morons.. but I agree with the rest of your comment.

It depends on where you work. If you've got operations experience, I'd seriously consider staying in the bank but maybe seeing if you can get a transfer into an IT area working as a software tester, or as a Business Analyst/Subject Matter Expert. People with a solid range of (ops) experience are usually well respected and desired in the IT teams for those sort of roles. You get a break from what you're currently doing, and get to see what working in a technology area really entails. If you show an aptitude for it, you might even be able to get the company to pay for training etc.

Anyway, something to consider. I wouldn't be chopping the head off the golden goose just yet - at least not while it's still got eggs left to lay.
  8. As long as a person has a fiery passion within, tenacity and an unstoppable determination to succeed in whatever they take on in life, it is never too late to change careers.

To a smaller degree, the nature of the new career may be the only issue, should there be limiting restrictions (ie, experience commensurate with age, medical issues etc).

All the best with whatever you choose to do, ychinchin (y)
  9. Well clearly you're not the moron. Just everyone around you.
  10. Oh dear.. this is awkward. I had myself pegged as a moron, and was sticking up for my colleagues :-s
  11. do what makes you happy.
    nothing worse than waking up everyday knowing you are spending at least a third of your life somewhere you hate.
  12. If you find something you love, go for it!

Ive gone from firefighting, interior design, self employed, and landed a job within a sport I love(the job not so much anymore) with the intention of going back to self employed all with great results. If you have direction, motivation, enthusiasm and can stay focussed. I say go for it! Life is short, and as someone just said for the amount of time spent at work, its great to be able to enjoy it. Just my 2cents
  13. Never try to rely on one form of income.
    Being paid to do what you love is the ducks guts.
    On the other hand I have been on three social rides in three years. Five to six days a week in the saddle for work and it gets hard to go out with the mates on my day off.
    But it still beats a real job.
    It's scary as hell to make the jump. Even worse for the first week of a new job. Then it's all good from there.
  14. I find I get sick of jobs after 3 months, then end up dragging my ass to work everyday and going through the motions...

I don't have much room for movement studying full time and paying for rent/living/various vehicles so kinda have to stick with what i'm at lest i quit and take a job which turns out to be less flexible/worse paying.

My advice? If you're thinking of doing it you've already made up your mind.
  15. Completely support this statement, its incredibly true.
  16. Do it.

We need more IT riders on the site

On a serious note, I changed about 8 years ago, bit of a leap of faith and certainly a step back to go forward but haven't looked back since

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
  17. It's never too late - even if it's fine-tuning rather than major changes. I recently took a pay-hit to go from contracting in the .NET space to a permanent Ruby on Rails role ... but I'm loving it, & I'm very glad to be out of the Microsoft tech. stack.

Bug in a library? Fork it, fix it, push it ... unless it's proprietary, in which case you get to wait for a fix that may never come. Having worked on both sides of the fence, I can't believe I put up with proprietary software infrastructure for so long.
  18. either try get an internal transfer as suggested...the one good thing about big org's is the different waters you can dip your toe in without having to sink or swim

stick out your current job for income, and go TAFE one / two nights a week doing IT and see if you like it. If you find yourself loving the study area after 6 months (not just because its something new), then get the hell out of the job you hate and get into the new field.

i was in hospitality for 10 years, by the time i hit the last 2, i was ready to slit throats. started study in accounting, loved it, got a new job, and haven't looked back.

it's never too late.
  19. If you're going to make a change, it's worth doing before your financial liabilities reach a level that you can't cover on an entry level wage in whatever career you want to move to.

Yeah, I know some would advise not to let your financial obligations reach such a level but, realistically, the majority of people don't manage to avoid it.

I qualified as an engineer at 29, having spent several years as a labourer, delivery driver and landscape gardener. By that time, eating pasta, riding shitheaps and living in crappy bedsits had got very old indeed, so even an entry level engineer's salary was a nice thing to have.
  20. My wife and I both went through this when we were 30. We had 3 kids, a mortgage, and engineering jobs that neither of us particularly liked. We both became engineers originally because we were good at maths at school, and thats what you did when you were good at maths. So we decided to retrain as teachers. 12 months dip. ed. at uni with no real income.

Centrelink were really helpful (no, really!) Some lovely lady explained to us that if we moved interstate, we could rent out our home to pay the mortgage, and get rental assistance on the place we lived in. So we moved to WA, where we wanted to go anyway.

I reckon my job now is one of the best on earth. I don't get paid as well as I would as an engineer, but I get to talk to kids most of the day, work at the same school as my wife, share an office with her, and have school holidays off. I just got my long service leave after 8 years in the job. 1 term off, and the next lot in 5 years.

It's not all about money and happiness will easily make up for any lost income.