Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When is enough, enough?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by JenStarlette, Apr 22, 2007.

1. So it happened again, I've had an oopsie.. :roll:

The bike is a complete write off. Whilst going through the spur around one of the sharper corners, the side stand had hit the ground causing the rear tyre to loose traction and I lowsided the bike. Unfortunately for me, I have no insurance! :shock: But that is another story..

There is a reason for this post. I'm sure many of you have wondered (after a few stacks), what exactly you're doing with yourself and if it's all worth it?

When I got home last night, I had already rang my oldies and told them the news. I walked in the door and we spoke about what had happened. My parents started to pour their hearts out. :(

"Sometimes the things we have a passion for aren't always the best thing for us to be doing"

When my Dad said that I started to cry. They've made it clear they dont want to bury their daughter, and I kind of have to respect that. But I really want to keep riding.

I'm so confused. I dont know if I should hang the boots up or keep riding. Perhaps a break and then get into some track days?

How do you say goodbye to something that gives you so much personal satisfaction? What else compares? I dont know.. :(

Im not sure if I'm making any sense here, but perhaps some 'deep and meaningfuls' from some other's who have been here before would be a great help to this little, lost rider..

2. Sorry to hear about your off, but you're OK so that's priority No.1

As to your dillemma? Tough question, and really one only you can truly know the correct answer to. But first thing I would do is evaluate the accident, (and the others) to see if it was just sh#t bad luck, or if it was rider error and therefor something you could have done to avoid it? How did the kickstand hit the ground? Where you that far over? Or was it not tucked up correctly?
    If the answer is sh#t bad luck, then your decision is harder.

If the answer is rider error, then you can reduce the chance of further 'off's' in the future by identifying your flaw(s) and rectifying them.

The answer lies within grasshopper!

Chin up :grin:
  3. Good advice Triway. When I rode dirt, I threatened to myself that I'd quit because I'd drop the bike on hills, tree roots and washaways then have to get going again in difficult circumstances. Not an issue of getting hurt (much) just the enjoyment of the ride. I rode with some guys who gave me great tips on bike preparation and riding technique so it may be a case of working out what's been going wrong (and being honest with yourself - were you going too fast, wrong gear, too much brake etc) then seeing if by changing a few things you can overcome the oppsing and enjoy what you're doing - btw, when things are going well on the road, do you enjoy it? If so, you may just benefit and continue to enjoy your riding.
  4. Jen, sorry to here you had an off. R u ok?

Tough tough tough choices girl.

I can share the pain, having flirted with those decisions myself not that long ago... but I'm glad I decided to stay with the bike.

I like getting out on two wheels like I know I like to breathe. After the mourning process of having a crash and hurting my bike was over, those innate feelings re-asserted themselves... however it has made me a slightly different rider. For the sake of my family, I do try to take extra care on the road... it's a compromise.

You have my sincere best wishes for you decision journey.
  5. Are you sure you touched down the sidestand?...I could uderstand the pegs but your sidestand is tucked in close to the body and quite high up...regardless if you want to keep riding you will...just take it a bit easier :)
  6. Sorry to hear it's gone pear shaped for you mate. Glad you're still here with us.
    On the last page of every motorbike owners manual is a disclaimer that simply reads;
    "there may be a price you have to pay for your passion"
    Sign here...........................

Not everyone reads their manual all the way through to the end. But now you have.
    You have the option of adding some terms and conditions to the contract before you commit to it again.
    some examples;
    'I will change the way i ride......'
    'I will change where i ride.....'
    'I will change when i ride........'
    'I will change what i ride......'
    These are just some examples to get ya thinking about it, you need to find what yours is.
    Basically it's about whatever needs to be changed so the contract is more weighted in your favour.
    Take all the time you need, to decide whether your going to sign it.

Thinking of ya, Scheff
  7. It's an emotional time right now for you, and you need to ask yourself the questions when you've calmed a bit.

What happened to you was the absolutely right thing to do, and I think you should be praised for that. You entered a tight corner, and rather than panicking and standing the bike up and braking, you kept leaning the bike over, and that means that as a rider you've come a long, long way.

The problem here being that you reached the limitations of hard part clearance of your bike, and sadly this is a problem with most 250cc learner category bikes. They simply aren't designed to corner at very high speeds without digging stuff in.

Now please don't take offense at this, but if motorcycling is important to you, and it's fairly clear to me from the expression on your face the few times that I've seen you after a good ride that you love it, then what you really need is some more practise in a safe environment. Go do some cornering courses at a race track, and then go do some track days. Slowly build up your speed in a safe environment, and find both your limitations, and the bike's limitations (if they are reached before yours).

If it's of any comfort, I was relating this to a friend the other night. Since I've started doing regular track days, my road riding has improved immensely. By that, I don't mean taking the bike to the limit, I mean the ability to judge corner entry speeds better, the ability to put the bike on a correct line better, the ability to lean the body weight better when things get tight, and gaining a better understanding of what the bike is, and is not, capable of.

Subsequently I now ride around on the road, not a whole lot faster than what I used to go, but only ever feel like I'm riding at 6/10ths of what is possible, rather than 8/10ths. I seriously cannot remember the last time I went into a corner feeling that I've gone in too hot. There have been times where I know I've gone in fast, but due to the regular practise at a much higher level, it's always been completely controlled.

I understand that your folks are worried, but now is the time to take a look at what you want. You clearly enjoy motorcycling, and from what I've seen of you, you're also a person who enjoys a sporting clip. For your own sake, and for the sake of those that worry about you, get some advanced training if you still decide to continue riding, and explain to your family how this will help you.

Riding motorcycles at speed on the road is a highly skilled discipline. It doesn't mean that it's not for you, and you've just taken a lesson that's a little hard to swallow right now. It is a wake up call. You can go either way. You can give up now, or you can get training and get better at it.
  8. Please explain how the sidestand hit the ground lifting the rear wheel??

For the sidestand to hit the ground in the fully tucked up position, I would imagine you have exhausted the lean angle of the tyre by that point, so I suspect you weren't cranked over that far.

Did you forget to flick it up?

If it was hanging down, does your bike have a switch on the stand that stops the engine when the stand is down and the bike in gear?
  9. Unfortunately, I just tipped the bike just that little further, and must have been on the very edge. Having the side stand hit the ground brought me down. So it was rider error.

The corner kinked hard to the left and because I hadnt chosen the best line through (A line which was close to one which I usually take), I tipped the bike just a little more to avoid running wide and down it went.
  10. I ride a Hyosung, and have had problems with the side stand before. But not since the bike was put back to its standard height. If you have a look, the stand hangs off the frame nearly a good two inches..
  11. Jen, read Stews advice, it is excellent, written from someone who has experienced the ups and downs as you have. I've been there too and after sitting with seriously injured riders by the side of the road, a thought I have wondered many times. Is it worth it? The answer is to define 'It', for if you can find that, you have your solution.

If you decide to ride, allocate money to an advanced rider/cornering course. Invest in some track days. Improve your skills and widen the envelope.

I've never ridden the twisties with you, but on the city rides your smile and enthusiasm is infectious and your love for riding is obvious.

I wish you well in your decision, whatever it is, everyone will support you.

Good luck.
  12. Thankyou so much Scheef.. gotta luv's ya kind words :)

And Stewy, I've tip toed over the idea of track days later on, perhaps after I'm off restrictions so I can get a bigger, better made and fully adjustable bike :cool: but Ma is a little worried of the stacks.

I know having a stack is well, the same as any other stack.. And some risks are lowered and some increased on the track. How significant are the risks of injuring yourself on the track.. What kind of environment can I expect? Can I visit a track day and get right in to see what I'm paying for..?
  13. Thankyou CJ :)
  14. Track days...

Go to PI on Wednesday and watch the fun that everyone is having. You will come away inspired!
  15. Pretty sure there's one on Wednesday(Anzac Day) at the island and you can just rock up and watch the whole thing. :wink:

edit: Damn you Cejay! Must learn to type faster! :LOL:
  16. Firstly, glad that you were relatively injury free and you can share your story with us.

I'd recommend the track days as well, am sure you'd get a better appreciation for how your bike works being taught by those who know.

I know many riders (I'm one) who gave it away in early 20's. Practically of a bike is great, but confidence exceeding ability is also an issue. So after numerous stacks and then a big one, gave it away :oops:
  17. Mistakes are simply that - mistakes. They are there to be learned from. You were able to walk away from this one, which is a good thing, believe me. That your bike is a write off is very unfortunate - but be glad that you are ok. The one thing that you are going to walk away with from this is a lesson learned and it is one mistake you are unlikely to make again. Don't beat yourself up about the mistake made, because we all make them along the way.

The decision as to where to go from here is one you shouldn't be making so soon after the accident, when emotions are running high. It's going to be an even harder decision for you given that you are getting pressure from your parents to give it away. Nobody here is going to be able to make that decision for you either. We are all passionate about bikes and it is going to be an entirely personal decision on your part as to whether you want to continue on. One thing you will be able to count on is support from the Netrider community with whatever decision you DO make.

I grew up with bikes, my father always rode bikes, and I've only ever had encouragement to pursue riding. During my marriage I had an enforced hiatus from riding as the wife had decided for me that I shouldn't be riding. Getting back on bikes again after the divorce was met with only encouragement from my folks. But...a little older and wiser, I reflect on the several years I wasn't riding and wonder whether it was perhaps a good thing for me. Growing up on minibikes and trailbikes I always pushed my limits and came off constantly. That I never broke a bone was a miracle. When I started road riding on sports bikes I took greater risks than I do today. Part of the reason that I chose to buy a cruiser is that for me at this point it's more about the ride and journey itself than to see how far over the advisory speed signs I can corner. None of this is relevant to you, this is simply part of MY journey as a rider.

I'm going to ride until I'm too old to do it any more, and I do it now with the desire to return home safe to my children after each ride. Riding for me is part of my life and having been without it for several years I felt like I had had part of me amputated. I'm suspecting that at this point riding is just as much a part of who YOU are.

You have a community here behind you no matter what way you decide to go. The emotional response to the off will subside with time and you'll be able to make a better decision. Your parents will always worry and there is little you can do about that, but in time, their fears and worries will lessen with the more experience you gain. I would just give it time. Don't rush into a decision just yet.
  18. Jen,

I met you a couple of weeks ago on the Thursday Night mystery ride (yes I was one of the few who turned off the bolte too early) and what I observed was that you love riding.....

If you keep having these Oopsies, then maybe you should evaluate how you ride. Are these Oopsies, all similar in nature? What have you been able to learn from each of them?

Most importantly, dont make any decisions in the heat of the moment. Take some time to eavluate and dont be hasty in any decision making. Look into track days/advanced courses. That might be all you need to prevent some of these oopsies from happening.

Glad to hear you are ok though.
  19. Glad your OK. I think everyone here has given great advice, don't give up just reevaluate and and get some track time.

Don't you ride a GT250R? If so what year is it? I only ask as I've had mine on the ground (not on purpose of course) and the stand didn't go anywhere near touching. First thing to touch was the pegs. If yours is touching maybe theres something wrong with it and if that's the case it's not really your fault but Hyo's, so they should be held responsible.
  20. Hey Jen,

Sorry to hear this has happened. I'm glad you're okay and I think people have posted some great advice - esp. in regards to doing a cornering course. I myself am thinking of doing something like this once I get my P's.

One thing I'd like to add to what others have said is this:

Once you get back on a bike - and I think you will ;) - I recommend you spend a good amount of time going out for rides on your own. I do this a fair bit - it gives me a chance to get into my own headspace where I get to learn more about myself and my bike. I take it nice and easy - after a while I notice that my initial idea of what 'nice and easy' was, has upped a level. You do get to know yourself as a rider and what your bike is capable of. And you get to work on your skills.

Just a suggestion and I'm in no way implying that you do otherwise whilst riding in a group - it's just that time alone on the bike can help and I've found it quite valuable over the past 6mths.

All the best and perhaps I'll see you at the track one day ;)