Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

when is a motor "run in "

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by pil, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Just picked up my new/second hand bike :grin: (3000 Ks) and was wondering how long till ya think the motor has been run in. The previous owner did all the right things like servicing and such but with my old bike it wasnt until about 9000 Ks that it felt run in and able to freely accelerate. I know that doesnt sond like a good discription but thats the way it felt to me. The bike is a sv650 if that makes any dif to the run in process being a twin I dont know. Any info would be sweet

2. most bikes as considered to be 'run in' once you'd done the first service at about 1000km but you'd have to check the bikes manual to confirm that number.

With my fireblade the engine continued to 'loosen up' for as long as I had it, the fuel efficency was noticably better at 8000km than it was at 1000 and again at 14000 from 8000 and again at 40000 from 14000. Each time giving me another 10km or so to a tank.

Now at some point there must be a threshold where it stops 'loosening up' and begins to 'wear out'.

But there will be slight changes in the character of your engine as you noticed with your former bike.
  3. With the close tolerances to which modern motors are built (environmental requirements, emissions, etc), they do take a long time to run in. You should still get good performance out of the engine now, but you will find what Matt found; the longer it goes on, the better it gets.
  4. My new gixxer 's owner's manual says under 8000rpm for 800kms, under 12000rpm until 1600km and then GO NUTS!
  5. Isn't a bike run in after it does it's first wheelie? :)
  6. Having gone from 0 to 2700km in the last two months, I have found that there is a signifcant amount of loosening up over the period. I feel that there is a degree of tapering off, but imagine that there is more to go because the last bike which had 91,000km-ish seemed to be looser than this current one. :grin:
  7. That depends on who you talk to. If you talk to the engineers that designed your
    motorcycle, then refer to your user manual.

Here is an interesting article, that gives a different view--

Backing this page up, my old man is a mechanic. He his method for "breaking in"
    trucks and commerical vehicles is to "lugg" the motor for a minute or two. His
    principle is the same as the above web page.

Food for thought anyway ;)

8. 1. BMW twin: when it stops burning oil
    2. others: when the power stops increasing/fuel economy doesn't get better.