Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When does the madness stop?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by DuaneDibbley, Mar 29, 2012.

1. How long does it take before you stop treating every set of traffic lights like the start at PI? Until you're happy to just cruise to work on the bike and not seek out the curviest route there and have some fun (within reasonableness - not batshit insane)?

I started riding just shy of 12 months ago and despite it being a little too small for my 192cm and 105kg frame I love every second on my CB400. It's faster than the SSV Commodore I had before it (at same speeds) and a metric buttload faster than the Swift I drive now when I have to carry gear/the girlfriend. I still try to strange the throttle to death and don't hang on enough with my legs but I'm getting there.

I'm not worried about my safety, I'm fairly responsible most of the time and I feel I'm riding to within my personal abilities and not recklessly (not even a stationary drop to report so far). But it would be nice to progress to a point where I can relax and not be in 'race' all the time.

I guess the main point of this post is the question:

Does the novelty ever wear off? Or is that the appeal of motorcycling; the never ending ability to just feel a little bit childish? Oh, and the noise!
  2. Taking off fast to get ahead of the traffic seems like a sensible thing to do. Wonder if the cops would get you for 'excessive acceleration' though.
  3. Everyday is raceday.
  4. Get back to me when you high side at over 100kmph
  5. Hopefully we'll avoid that for a while...
  6. No idea, but I'm only coming up to 2 years. I think the problem is endemic to the CB400 ;)
  7. reporting - problem still persists on an r6... gives me shivers every time
  8. No, it never goes away. At a traffic light I feel like a jack russel terrier that's been chained up - waiting to be unleashed. There's nothing wrong with it - just make sure that you check for idiots running red lights and remember ride within your own limits.
  9. I seem to have that fault on my GS.... Come to think of it so did the Hornet... Must be the mechanic's fault :D
  10. Well ... never, I guess.

People who lose the love of it soon notice that it's cold and wet and dangerous and you look silly at the drive-in and the drive-through, so they go back to 4 wheels, and you don't find many of them on motorbike forums. So the people who've fallen out of love with it, are unlikely to read your question.

I started riding when I was 7 or 8 years old. I started sneaking out at night and riding on the road when I was about 14 or 15. I'm about to turn 50, and it's amazing how often it crosses my mind at red lights that Ricki Gadson could get my bike down the quarter in the very low nines... I don't actually do anything about it very often, but the thought's there.
  11. It is like any addiction I guess, only difference is there is no reason at all to give it up.
    You may however find you need a bigger and bigger fix as time goes on.
    Whether that comes in the form of a different bike, riding faster, riding smoother, riding further. There are so many ways that we get our 'hit'.
  12. There's such a thing as "excessive acceleration"???
  13. Always have 'the bug' but be very carefully about taking off at the sight of a green light, sooner or later you'll get collected by a red light runner.
    Asking for trouble unless there are no other cars etc around.

My 2 cents,

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bloody hell I hope it does not go away otherwise I have just spent a lot of money on stuff...........

Cheers Jeremy
  15. 6 years on a 200 scooter and I still got it. I'm a little scared of getting on something bigger for this reason.
  16. I've been riding in Sydney traffic for 20 years and I'm pretty easy going. Yesterday I couldn't resist showing a new 335kW Falcon he was no match for a 12 year old Triumph. He gave it everything too. I could here the traction control kicking in.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 4-5 years of riding and still have it.

I must say with two young kids I've given many hours of thought to riding - should I be even more cautious, should I give up the unnecessary weekend rides, should I give it all away at least till they are a bit more grown up?

Then I just go for a ride.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It goes away about 10min after you die, you know when you lose your soul.
  19. It never goes away. I still get the same thrill out of nailing my Bandit 1200 now as I did when I first bought it in 2004.
    But of course I now want bigger thrills, so as soon as the house sells, the Bandit will be transformed into a brand new ZX14R. Mmmm sub 10 second quarter miles straight out of the box!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. #20 peter-reebok, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Doesn't go away
    You just get a faster bike.
    Then another. Then another.
    Until hopefully never.