Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ACT When does a speed limit sign take effect?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by gtr58, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi guys, new member so apologies if this is similar to a standing thread, couldn't see one.

So my query is when do people think a speed limit applies? Is it right at the speed sign or (as I believe, though it has been some years since my test and i've been overseas for awhile) is there a distance of leeway given to slow down? I recall the law being you have something like 200m to slow to the signposted speed or it is from the sign if there is a '60 ahead' sign before. Im interested in the ACT especially, RTA gives (surprise surprise) very vague information from what i can see.
  2. As an example, if you are in an 80 zone going into a 60 zone, you have to slow to 60 by the time you get to the sign, not after, if you are in a 60 zone approaching an 80 zone you can accelerate to 80 as soon as you pass the sign, not before. ie you are not allowed to be over the limit in the lower speed zone.
  3. This is correct, except the OP is in the ACT so 60 is really 75, 80 is 100 and if you are in an 80 zone and there are road works or school zones (40) you slow down to 78, see if there are any white speed vans and then increase speed to 120 while texting and tailgating the car in-front of you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Police protocol USED TO BE (may well have changed) that a speed trap couldn't be set up within a certain distance from a change in speed limit but on the whole, what smee said.
  5. I've been booked for passing a 60 sign at 70 as i was slowing down from an 80 zone, in my cage about a decade ago. Was a speed trap about 20 metres past the sign.
  6. I used to have a copy of the guidlines they are supposed to use for radar traps (long gone now) and yep it did mention they shouldnt use stationary traps within XXX distance from speed zone changes at the border of a townships (cant remember the exact wording or figure but am pretty sure it was above 20metres) That wont save you from police driving their car with a radar though - and I know they dont follow their own guidlines anyway (eg mentions not to speed trap at the bottom of hills or around heavy vegetation which may affect the accuracy (hiding in the bushes) - and Ive seen plenty of those)

Edit: I remember it even mentioning that birds may affect the accuracy lols

Found some of it online - Guidlines for using the silver eagle radar system - they arnt supposed to use radar within 50metres of a speed zone change

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoL, I have observed this to be true!
  8. Cheers guys! most of you had interesting and helpful replys. Thanks especially to prawns for pulling out that info! I was asking as I was curious, also as I went through one of the dreaded ACT speed cam vans. Good ol ACT huh? forgot those damn things are everywhere :) He was only 100m from a 60 sign, slowing down from a 70 zone over a crest, doing 68 on the speedo still when i saw him. He was also at the bottom of a downslope, so that also peeved me. Anyhow, looks like either he let me off, perhaps as i was slowing down still, or more likely he was napping and I slowed in time. No ticket as yet and is over 6 weeks ago so seems i may be ok. Just annoys me they put these things where they do, instead of where they'll help. Happy riding!
  9. I was traveling from Sydney to Melbourne once, coming out of a small town, speed went from like 50 to 100 or something like that. On the exit of the town, there was a cop leaning against the speed change sigh with a radar. Thankfully I hadn't sped up yet.
  10. I resemble that statement
  11. Nice find on those guidelines, sadly the ACT speed van operators go "LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU. IT'S OPPOSITE DAY"
  12. Cops in Qld have some favourite spots. One of them is here. It goes from 80 to 60 as you peel off to exit at the normanby, and they stand at the lights under the fig trees. They sight on the back of the speed sign and get a distance (lidar is good like that) and then they track people through the sign and ping them 3 ~ 5 m closer. I've had it done to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. #14 Salty, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I've had a mate fined and he said he didn't see the speed change sign. The cop seemed to give the impression the speed could be enforced after the second set of speed signs. The second set is usually 200m roughly from the first. This logic has kept me out of trouble thus far, coming off the throttle at the first set to be at the new limit by the second set.
  14. Some states used to have slightly different rulings.
    I can't remember which state, but there was a regulation that from standard sight range of a sign, a driver should be able to slow to the speed limit before reaching the sign.
  15. Those "can't be sited within 50m", "can't be sited within 100m" rules don't mean much at all, given the police can and do ping drivers from 500m or more with LIDAR. :D
  16. cool, so if riding at $2.20 and approaching an 80 sign..... ;)
  17. I think there are case law precedents which determine exactly where a speed camera van can be set up. ie. I suspect it has been successfully argued in court, which determines the circumstances where a camera van has been set up. eg. I guess 50m has been determined to be more than sufficient distance for a vehicle to slow down etc. or something of the like.
  18. That's F**KING good information.. I'll be riding along that exit tomorrow afternoon!
  19. Statute of limitations is 12 months.

A speed limit sign takes effect from where it is placed.

I think not.

Unless the ACT government has created a law forbidding the use of radar within 50 metres of a speed zone change, the guidelines are irrelevant and therefore are of no assistance in defending a speeding charge.

In the case of Police v Bulgin SASC, the Honorable Justice J White affirmed that it is not necessary for the prosecuton to prove compliance with technical instructions such as manufacturers' handbooks as an obligatory requirement to the admissibility of certificates authorised under statute.

See above. That information is of no use in answering your question.

The RTA provides the information you require. You only need to know where the website search function is and more importantly, what to search for.

The same information is found elsewhere as well.

RR.21 Speed-limit where a speed-limit sign applies

(1) The speed-limit applying to a driver for a length of road to which a speed-limit sign
    applies is the number of kilometres per hour indicated by the number on the sign.

(2) However, if the number on the speed-limit sign is over 100 and the driver is driving
    a bus with a GVM over 5 tonnes, or another vehicle with a GVM over 12 tonnes, the
    speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road is 100 kilometres per hour.

(3) A speed-limit sign on a road applies to the length of road beginning at the sign
    and ending at the nearest of the following:

(a) a speed-limit sign on the road with a different number on the sign;
    (b) an end speed-limit sign or speed derestriction sign on the road;
    (c) if the road ends at a T–intersection or dead end — the end of the road.

or as summarised below:

Any post stating otherwise, whilst made with the best intentions, are incorrect/immaterial and should be discarded accordingly.