Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

When do YOU...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by tim650, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Okay i'm starting this topic to see when you do/change the following on your motorcycle, No i dont want to know what the manufacturer book says, everyone is different, im curious to see how long/much people check/maintain their motorcycle.

Why for example, im looking at my bikes chain and it is much looser only after 3,000kms!! Time to adjust :?

SO,
    When do YOU,
    - Check tyre pressures???
    - Change Coolant???
    - Tighten your chain???
    - Change Brake Fluid???
    - Charge your battery, or after long absences from use???
    - Bleed your brakes???
    - Change your brake pads after X,XXXkm's???
    - Clean/replace air filter(s)???
    - Or if you re-lube any rotating parts or bearings after some time, please specify???

Im sure there's more to be added, so feel free to discuss, again these things made me think to give my bike a once over on everything in the near future.

Cheers.
    :grin:

2. Hey - cool post.

When do YOU,
    Before every ride with the hand-test. If the bike feels a little vague whilst riding to the morning fuel-up, I will check then. yes, I know, I should check daily.

- Change Coolant???
    Oil cooled - so, never.

- Tighten your chain???
    Check before every ride and only if required. In reality, once you start adjusting the chain, its time for a new one.

- Change Brake Fluid???
    When it changes from its original color. The current color is a lovely shade of light and clear blue

Hmmm, when it dies. Changed the battery only once after 80,000kms

- Bleed your brakes???
    When I change the fluid

Ooooooo - good question.... I would say every 10,000km.......

Street bike, running DNA so dont change it. Clean it when servicing.

- Or if you re-lube any rotating parts or bearings after some time, please specify???
    WD40..... very frequenctly.

4. Hmm thats interesting, never would of thought of that.

Seems im not doing a lot then judging by your answers :LOL:
    I got time off now so i'll be looking into it more.

5. and give her a wax every month or so.

6. Check tyre pressures??? Once a week, or once every 'fun ride', whichever comes first

- Change Coolant??? About once a year

- Tighten your chain??? Depends on how new the chain is, currently I have to adjust it slightly every month but thats because I'm riding it like a tool

- Change Brake Fluid??? Once a year
    - Bleed your brakes??? Once a year

- Charge your battery, or after long absences from use??? Why would I not ride it for a long absence? :p

- Change your brake pads after X,XXXkm's??? Whenever the pads are worn to their markers, which varies signifcantly.

- Clean/replace air filter(s)??? Clean it once every 4-6 months

Every major service, so likely twice a year its done properly, but I do it myself after washing the bike

7. So i attempted to tighten my chain, i didnt get far. Does anyone use a massive wrench to undo the rear wheel, it looks like it unscrews the normal anti-clockwise direction way by looking at the thread. Then i started thinking if its the opposite cause the wheel turns one way and would unscrew itself, is this correct. I left it alone, the manual doesn't say which way to turn it?? Next will be a big pole on the end of the ratchet.

8. most rear wheels are tightened to about 100nm.. thus - bloody tight. if it hasnt been adjusted for a while it could be hard to get to go.. a socket and breaker bar on the bolt (axel) side and a torque wrench on the nut (or another breaker bar ) should do it.. be carefull not to stuff bolt or nut as then nothing comes off and life will suck monkeys.

9. Yeah it said how tight it was, it felt like i was moving the axle, il maybe give it another try on the weekend. Bike has 4000kms, and never had been touched there.

A bit of elbow grease too..

10. I usually service my bike every 5000 kays (It's meant to be longer, but 5 thou is a nice amount for my feeble little mind to remember). Bear in mind, 5000 km only take me 3-4 months to get too, so this would be every 6 months regardless of distance other wise.

Daily at the moment because my POS Pilot Powers have a slow leak and are almost worn out. Weekly otherwise.

- Change Coolant???
    When I need to remove the radiators.

- Tighten your chain???
    Check every month or so and clean and lube at the same time.
    (Keep apart anti-lube klan and clean-chain nazis, this is not the post to argue in...)

- Change Brake Fluid???
    Every service as well at clutch fluid.

Never a problem, but as soon as I have starting trouble I check the starter relay, and if okay, ar$e the battery.

- Bleed your brakes???
    Every service with new fluid and a bleed.

Mmm, I usually let my pads get down to 50 % and then change them at the very next service. Not a hard job and if you do it your self, it's just new pads and fluid as costs.

Every second service, but I may get a K&N reusable and clean/oil myself

Lube at levers, pegs, key holes, throttle linkages on the bodies and give the bike a good degrease at every service.

One thing I am planing to do is re-lube the suspension linkages. I have not done this before, so they are probably gummed up solid. I will attempt it when I have to remove the wheels to get new rubber put on. Carnt be that ard!!

I then pray to the road good gods for another, hopefully 5000 kays of trouble free motoring.