Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured VIC When do roadwork/speed restriction signs become invalid?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ajrider, Apr 27, 2015.

1. I was looking for clarification as to whether there is a law when it comes to speed restriction signs that they must be placed / repeated a certain distance so you know that you're still in that restricted zone, and if they're not the restriction becomes invalid?

Two scenario's I have come up against a few times:

1) Road works where you have to slow to 40/25kph. However the workers have not erected any sign the other end saying that you can speed back up to 100/110kph. (Or they pulled down one side for the weekend and forgot the other side, etc). I was wondering at what point/distance does the last 40/25kph zone become invalid, or technically am I expected to continue at the last posted speed limit for the next 75km's until I reach the next town / sign?

2) Normal speed zones. I have ridden in areas that slow to 60kph. Take a turn, and it eventually leads back out onto a rural area - but again there is no sign to say you're back in a 100/110 zone. If coming the other way I would assume that the 50kph for 'built up' areas apply if not otherwise signed, but at what stage can I legally speed to 100/110kph when there are no signs down those roads saying I can... ever.
  2. I don't think it matters. No one ever does the required speed limit anyway. I usually go back to the normal speed limit once in out of the roadworks
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't think they are laws as such but only guidelines on signage in roadworks areas. THIS is a QLD guideline document but they should be similar for all states. It indicates that roadworks signs should be repeated every 2 km if the roadworks zone extends a greater distance.

In your option 2 there should be an End Speed Restriction sign

but I agree often there is not. Sometimes it is guesswork.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. I was once done on these grounds. Was told that whether the signage is bureaucratically correct or not has no bearing. The sign is the absolute law, regardless of how far back you passed it.
    I did not test it in court though.
  5. titustitus - Yikes - sorry to hear.

So effectively a highway patrol guy having a bad day and with no standards and an anti-bike attitude could drive through said roadworks, notice there's no 100kph sign, say 'Ho - I can get myself a biker here' - drive 10k's down the road, wait hiding behind a tree and nail the first motorcyclist coming by and take their license off them.

Obviously this could be challenged in court, but it would be at the discretion of the judge, and cost us anyway, in loss of a days work at the least.

What brought this to my attention was that I was on a rural road late one night. Came across a single 40kph roadwork sign on the right side of the road. (none on the other side). No other warning signs of impeding zones. (ie, no 40kph ahead, or 80kph signs), no nothing. A single isolated sign. Being paranoid and just seeing it, I hit the anchors, just to pass a HWP car 200m up backed into a rural driveway. I admit - I have no idea whether he was pinging speeders (doing over 100) and even unaware of the 40 sign, or whether he was intentionally sitting there waiting for an unsuspecting and unalert person to come by doing 100 in the '40 zone' and take their license. Thankfully I was going past him at 40 and never had to find out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ^ If he was unaware of the 40 sign, he would have pulled you over for going too slow (and most likely given you a breath test)

Almost sounds like mr HWP put the bloody sign there...
  7. If you notice end ones missing email the RTA and let them know. They will respond
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. The signage methods in each state are all based on AS1742.3 for road works, Qld has made some additions to the standard.
    Dropping the speed limit by more than 30 km/h in one go is not in accordance with the standard and should be challenged by anyone receiving a fine in those circumstances.
    So is leaving out a worker or traffic controller sign when there is no workers visible or traffic controllers actually doing traffic control work, but they are left out all the time, so motorists become complacent.
  9. Have you got a link for this? Which state is this? When you say no workers is that in sight or anywhere on site.
  10. Visible to traffic. That's why a lot of companies have covers to flip over when work is done for the day, or the sliding signs in the frame. You slide the digger man behind the speed limit sign.
    The Qld version has already been linked; interbrowse MUTCD Part 3. Refer to the Australian Standard for other states, and find their legislation to make sure that they actually refer to the standard (other states might have their own adaptations of the standard also but I only work with Qld).
  11. As with all Australian Standards (except electrical) they are not law themselves, but a failure to comply with them would likely result in a charge being overturned in court.

There are also rules about how far apart signage needs to be and how much notice you need to be given. I did layouts for these many moons ago, but it's so long I can't remember any of it. Shit boring job too.

The question is a good one, because I've noticed a lot of slack roadworks signage of late. If a cop takes it more seriously than the work crew, then a motorist could pay the price.

Worse still, if a worksite isn't set-up properly and somebody is seriously injured, then more than one life will be ruined.
  12. This signage is more and more the responsibility of private companies setup to do the job and contracted by the main roadworks contractor. They will cut corners when they can I am afraid. The main contractor has someone to blame if things go wrong.
  13. I've gone too fast through a roadwork section once in the cage. 60kmh where it was marked 40kmh. The man in charge of turning the sign (tough job) jumped out in front of me at the last minute and waved the sign at me. Obviously wasn't having a good day.
  14. I reckon you'd have to overturn the validity of the initial 40 sign to get out of the infringement, but perhaps a clever brief could make the argument stick.
    Many dollars spent to take it that far and we don't actually know any infringements were issued.
  15. I saw this last week on the Mitchell freeway in Perth. Passed through the 60 roadworks section, and went past an off ramp, but no further road signs. Do I speed up or not? Doing too slow on the fwy is an offense in itself. Everyone sped up to 100, and then just before the next speed sign, a mobile speed camera. I am still waiting to see if the wife got done in the car. If so, I will be sending it back, and may end up in court.
  16. I asked a few people their thoughts, and one suggestion was that once you've passed any side road that you might have come from (theoretically), then the default road speed limit applies unless immediately signed otherwise.
    Makes sense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I used to do a lot of travel and ALWAYS check the entrance speed signs when things aren't actually happening in the 'works' sections.
    I figure it's the last sign I pass as it's directly connected to the road I'm on and I'll be damned if I'm getting in a jam with someone merging at a higher speed with an attitude and me stuck beside someone and/ or someone tailing me.
  18. Isn't the default limit 50 in built up areas anyway
  19. the signs are more reminders for people that want to continue living in the 90's..
    "sorry, didn't know, used to be X through here, haven't been here for a while..." etc.
  20. Yeh. Unless otherwise signed.