Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wheelie Control System

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MelbourneMick, Sep 26, 2011.

1. #1 MelbourneMick, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    When I was out riding on Sunday I bumped into a fella I know who works in a bike shop.
    He was out riding a new Aprilia you beaut wizz bang affair. It was the demo bike at he shop and he had scored it for the weekend.
    He was pretty impressed with the whole shebang and informed me it had "Wheelie Control"

I have watched the video (in Italian with Subtitles here) for how the system works [media=youtube]ARmLhdbgz5I[/media]

But a question was raised by my fellow riding companion on the day.

"Does it work if you are going up hill?"

anyone ?
  2. #2 JimmyD, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    why would it not?
  3. All these fancy bloody gadgets and I was just happy with a digital dash..
  4. ok both good questions but I asked first !

well the angle of the bike would obviously be different if going up a steep hill i guess i am curious in relation to this upsetting the wheelie control.
    I am the first to admit this kind of gadgetory is beyond my realms of comprehension.
  5. accelerometer, gyro, and for good measure load sensor on the front forks and wheel speed sensors on the front and back wheels- it's really not terribly difficult to write something to account for all the variables a bike can throw at it
  6. This. It doesn't have to be particularly sophisticated either. I came across a trike with a rear mounted Rover V8 20 years ago with microswitches on its forks which cut the ignition as the front wheel left the ground. ISTR it had an override switch for showing off :twisted:.
  7. Yup. It is basically just a bunch of scenarios.

The real hard bit, isn't getting the basics in there, but fine tuning it to react smoothly to the variables as they change. Getting software to act mathematically nicely can be a pain sometimes. Hence the different wheelie settings I assume attenuates the response somewhat to what different people prefer. Some might prefer a more aggresive system, some less so.
  8. Yep, it was my question at the time and I hadn't really put much thought into what sort of sensors one could use to detect wheelies. I did expect that the engineers would have something so obvious already covered, but hey; as my dad pointed out: they originally sent the hubble telescope into space with an incorrectly ground mirror.
  9. Digital dash? thats a luxury lol
  10. I've got wheelie control.. Its called my right wrist :D
  11. I used to thing Suzuki's illuminated gear position indicator was pretty flash :D. 'Til the rain got to it and made the whole thing light up all at once anyway :D.
  12. Not aggression, intrusion. There was a review of the rsv4 factory aprc (I think that's the bike we're talking about, right?) where the rider kept it pinned over a couple of dips in the road (with the traction control set to street or whatever). When the front wheel left the ground rather than cut throttle it would slowly drop it so the front wheel didn't smack the ground, even if you held WOT the entire time. Then you'd go to race mode which would let you pop the front up a bit, but cut in if you're a downy and were going to flip it - both modes would return to the ground in the same manner. I've never got the front wheel more than a foot off the ground but I imagine you don't want it hitting the deck hard, especially if you didn't mean to wheelie in the first place.

Really though, a microcontroller that sends out a PWM signal (a higher voltage to one of the pins as the angle/wheelie gets bigger) makes things a lot simpler than most people imagine.
  13. analog dashes look better
  14. Yes but the discussion is applicable to any control system. Although it is nothing as complex as the fly by wire systems in the airbus aircraft for example.

Coding for these control systems is an interesting science, because you need to use "safe coding" techniques to avoid loops and the like. In addition, everything is suppose to be failsafe - so if it fails, it fails to a safe state. If a trains braking system fails, it fails for the brakes to be on. Train can't move, but it is better than the opposite. Hydraulics are used to counter springs on the brakes - lessen hydraulic pressure and it applies brakes. Lose all hydraulic pressure and brakes clamp on.

Of course, stability and traction control systems don't run in boolean states like this, so they need to model analogue variables. Fine tuning the system to work smoothly over the entire range of values for each variable domain is the tricky bit. Get it right, and it is a wonderful thing though.
  15. I just think its awesome that there is such a thing as a wheelie control system.