Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wheel Jockey –*Rear wheel roller for chain cleaning

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by LineNoise, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Anyone tried these?

As the owner of two bikes without centre stands and one without the means to mount rear stand spools I like the idea of not having to traipse up and down the driveway every time I want to clean the chain.

On the flip side, the level of stability (or possible lack thereof) concerns me.
  2. looks good, but this method might be just as good..

a mechanic showed me a neat trick for getting either the front/rear wheel off the ground with just your sidestand and a car jack. seemed stable enough on a flat surface.

basically just find a mounting point under one of the header pipes and jack it up every so slightly, so the bike is supported by the side stand and either front/rear wheel. you may have to experiment with different points along the pipe (we did this on a cbr250)
  3. There was a link on here a little while back that dealt with this. It did essentially what sino said, except it used the axle as the mount point. It was this little metal thing and you jsut kinda put it there somehow.

I'll googlefu it, because that description was balls.
  4. No dice. Sorry boys.
  5. hmm both those look good too - i'd take the 2nd one

but yeah.. no 1st hand experience with these, sorry. my GS500 has a centrestand :p
  6. I've got one thats currently being used as my door stop.

Works ok helped with lubing while riding up to and from sydney.
  7. #8 minglis, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Can you not use a race stand? (I'll provide a link later)
    I got one and it's awesome.

* Used in conjunction with rear stand
    * Goes underneath the swingarms to lift bike
    * Used when there are no provisions for spools

Attached Files:

9. #10 minglis, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Oh, I see the problem. Yeah, mine needed these brackets too. When I bought my stand, I had to email the company and they sent them out to me free of charge.
  10. packjack
  11. Looks unstable and may not be secure enough. Despite our bikes not having the means to mount rear stand spools there are stands with flat attachments to lift them from the swingarm. I was just at my mechanic whom tightened my chain using a Sharp stand. Saw them at the expo too and prices were good. Need to get myself one aswell from their shop in Heidelberg.
  12. Why is it unstable? Lock off the front brake and you have three point contact, front wheel, stand and roller. Seems a lot more stable that the rocks and shifter stand I used a few years ago in tassie.
  13. It would be more stable than rocks and shifter but talking on my own behalf as a person who is not very familiar with bike maintenance unstable in the sense bike is still on it's side stand on an angle leaning towards the chain side I may exert too much force making the bike jolt off the jockey. For people whom regularly do their own bike maintenance it should be stable.
  14. That's just your fear and naiivity talking then.

There's isn't any chance that while cleaning the chain or checking the valves, that you could impart enough force to "jolt it off the stand". A CB400 must weigh 150kg wet... not withstanding that the side stand is well and truly grounded how are you going to push the bike off the rollers with a toothbrush or grunge brush or cleaning rag??

You don't put it on the stand while taking off the fairing, tank, covers etc - it's only to help rotate the wheel.

Seriously, if you don't know stuff, why make a comment?
  15. A cb400 weighs 200kg wet. I am heavy handed when it comes to tools and maintenance and could easily exert more than enough force when handling the rear tyre or something else for the bike to jolt off the jockey and tip. If the person thinking of the wheel jockey falls under the same category of being heavy handed and not good at maintenance then it may be better to get a purpose built stand such as the Sharp one with flat mount points to acommodate for the lack of mount points on the cb400.

I make comment when I know the stuff and will refrain from doing so when I don't know the stuff. If I don't know I'll ask and find out.
  16. Two jackstands if you have them - one under each side of the swingarm.

Otherwise two stacks of bricks and put some some wood on the top of each stack to stop the paint on the swingarm from getting scratched.

1. Get a mate to lean the bike onto its sidestand so that the opposite side lifts up.
    2. Put bricks with wood under swingarm
    3. Rock bike back onto bricks and wood placed in step 2
    4. Slip in bricks and wood under the side stand side of the swingarm

And your off........
  17. You're rotating a wheel. You're wiping down a chain with a rag. etc where's the force coming from?

Seriously, you're saying that while you're at this point in your process you can move a bike sideways off the rollers... a bike which has 3 point contact with the ground, so simplifying matters, that's 67kg on the stand and 67 kg on the rollers and 67kg on the front wheel... and you're going to move that sideways? With a toothbrush?

You know what mate, when ya wrong, man up and say so.
  18. If I am wrong I will own up and no harm in manning up about it. I have had bad experiences with bikes and machinery in moving them more than necessary by accident and a few close calls, you're right this wheel jockey will suit the tasks you are mentioning.
  19. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

Ok, so your basis for judging the rollers was your mechanical ineptitude... why the frack would you pipe up on the internet then? That's hardly relevant experience.

Ok, so we all have to learn and make some mistakes along the way, but shit man...