Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wheel bearings...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Sweeris, Nov 6, 2007.

1. I am wondering if I need to oil the wheel bearings at all or do I just leave them. This probably another stupid question.

This just hit me when I was just thinking that I needed to spend so much time tweaking my push bike where as my bike I just need to check tyre pressure, oil, coolant, chane...
  2. Bearings should be sealed and maintenance free - though you do need to check them occasionally to make sure they're not worn out. This is done by getting the front wheel off the ground and making sure it can't tilt from side to side. If it can the bearings are worn and you need new ones.
  3. If they've been in there for a while, you could put some grease in under the seal, but having said that, if your going to go to that trouble and for the cost of them, you may as well replace them.
  4. Some bikes had original bearings with seals on only one side. They need to be greased.

When you replace them do so with double sealed items, if it hasn't been done already.