Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wheel alignment question

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by kyp, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm new to bikes. I've got stupid question about wheel alignment. I've just noticed my rear wheel doesn't have alignment weight on it where front wheel has it, just comparing with cars where all 4 wheels have weights. Is that normal practice for bikes not to have weights on rear wheel, or I just lost it after drop?
  2. #2 bulby, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I'm new too, and I've never heard of such thing. Interested to know what the more experienced folks have to say :)

As far as rear wheel alignments go, I'm pretty sure most bikes have those bits on the swingarm you can adjust to tighten / loosen your chain. You adjust the left and right sides separately, so I'm guessig this takes care of rear wheel alignment.
  3. OK firstly, the wieghts on wheels don't have anything to do with alignment. They are there to balance the wheel. Different things

I assume you are actually asking about balance.

Yes you do see weights on bike wheels. You just may be lucky in that your tyre and wheel combination didn't need weights. Is there any noticable vibration from the wheels?

If so then the weights may have fallen off or they weren't balance properly. If there is no vibration then it's fine.

And yes Bulby is right with regards wheel alignment. That can be largely achieved through the rear wheel adjustment, though a more serious misalignment is a different matter.
  4. If you're talking about the weights attached to your rim, they are balance weights, not wheel alignment weights..

If your rear wheel is balanced without any weights, you are a lucky man.. Very rare to see this but it does happen..

If you get any undue vibration from the rear wheel, get it rebalanced.. or buy a static balancer and do it yourself.
  5. Thanks, ibast. Yes, I meant wheel balancing of course. I was just making an analogy with cars where both alignment/balancing usually comes together. I can't say bike has got any bad vibration but definetely has some, so how do I determine whether it is unbalanced wheel or just normal bike's vibration?
  6. If it increases with speed, but not revs, then it's probably worth getting the wheels rebalanced (unless they are near the end of life).
  7. So I'm lucky then. Vibration goes away with the clutch in.
  8. Last tyre set I bought one did not need weights, but normally you would expect them.
  9. Lucky????
    I'd be looking into a vibration like that, unless it's just normal engine vibration.

Last set of tyres I had fitted had no weights needed on the front, but some on the rear.
  10. So it's more or less common to not have weights. I have one on my front but not on the rear wheel. Are you saying the vibration of my bike might not be the normal engine ones? The question about vibration is still opened then. I've noticed the vibration starts with revv around 5k rpm and more noticable with lower speed. Is that a bad sign?
  11. What bike do you have and when does it vibrate? Most bikes vibrate, just some are worse than others.
  12. I've got GS500 (2009). It starts vibrating at around 5000 rpm (it's hard to see any details in mirrors at that revvs), also noticable thru the foot pegs.
  13. #13 bulby, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    My GS500F vibrated with revs too. I think that was engine vibration as it increased with rev and not ground speed.
  14. The GS runs a 180 degree crank. This has inherent primary balance but not secondary balance. That configuration also induces rocking couple, Suzuki counteract this with a balance shaft.

It's a good design, but still suffers from secondary rocking couples and secondary imbalances.

The result is it will vibrate at certain points in the rev range just like a traditional inline 4. Still not bad considering it's a parallel twin witch are traditionally very vibey.
  15. Let's just say it's not uncommon.
    Some bikes are a bit 'buzzy' for want of a better phrase.
    Might pay to have it looked at if you're concerned.