Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Whats up with the pricing information?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mikkey, Aug 7, 2009.

1. I noticed recently that all manufacturers Australian web sites have removed pricing information for new bikes.

I noticed this on the BMW site:

What is up with this pricing law? Anyone know the background? Seems silly and made it far more difficult to compare prices.[/b]
  2. Its across the board - with cars as well. I think that ride away prices can be quoted but quoting RRP isn't allowed anymore.
  3. perzackly, and about time too
  4. ?

I like to know how much things I cant afford/don't need cost.

I mean that as in how much the actual item is, less fees. Tells you how much the fees are.
  5. Yeah its new laws passed in, they can only display the Drive-away price with all fees/charges included and as the vary state to state, it makes it more complicated to setup the website.

IMO its crap, its made doing research before you actually goto dealers and get hassled by salespeople much more difficult.

I think there may have been a few posts on this already when it first came out that explains it.
  6. +1 ajc
    The new laws make it harder to put up a price.
    I now just go to carsales etc to look at brand new <insert item> to get a price when adding things to my want list
  7. I support the new laws. They came into effect in May after the federal government passed the Clarity of Pricing Act. They apply to all goods and services covered by the Trades Practices Act, i.e. not just motor vehicles.

What the new laws mean is that when I see or hear a price being advertised, I don't have to go and research what taxes and additional charges typically apply for that good or service. This also means consumers' time isn't wasted when they find out advertised prices significantly diverge from total prices, e.g. $10 airline tickets.

The motor industry is always highly resistant to change, but within time they will need to convey price drops for their vehicles, probably around Christmas, and they'll need to bully their dealers into agreeing on a common price so they can advertise these price drops and properly compete in the market place.

Kawasaki and Yamaha never used to advertise RRPs anyway, and I got the distinct impression Honda didn't update its RRPs to reflect price drops. Suzuki, on the other hand, always used to display RRPs, and they used to update them too.
  8. Advertised prices have been the biggest scam in the industry since sawdust in the gearbox; you could end up paying up to $3,000 more for a vehicle and the extras were NEVER explained, you were just expected to cop it sweet.
  9. These laws were introduced to protect the numpties and those too lazy to research their options.

It's not rocket science to work out what a car or bike will cost once you know the RRP. And that's another thing, most dealers won't sell at RRP, especially retailers in electronic goods.

Typical ALP, catering, as usual, to the LCDs of society...
  10. Would you like a bigger brush to tar people with?

They'd quote you '+ dealer delivery and statutory charges'. Statutory charges are different from state to state, but it's not too hard to have local pricing for the different states, seeing as most advertising is very regional. And dealers are well able to have the pricing on their websites as they are aware of and in control of their add-ons. All this does is compel a dealer to add those prices to the advertised price as a 'drive away' price. You'd think it was amazingly dumb and annoying if on your trip to Coles that bottle of milk for $1.50 suddenly became $1.75 at the checkout. Why would you expect less for a $35k purchase?

I do take your point, if you're going to spend that much, you do need to do your research, but I can see the other side too.
  11. I like the new laws with the pricing. It made working out what I was forking out for my bike a bit easier because I knew a 7k bike wouldn't turn into a 7.5k bike for example.
  12. I can see both sides of the coin as well. But for me i preferred it the old way. I never had a problem with working out the taxes and asking for the cost of delivery charges etc to get the total cost. Also i only ever used the advertised price as a guide to what i wanted and where i would start looking. Now i must make phones calls just to compare some cars / bikes against each other and wasting my time. Of course all IMO!
  13. Really???

So instead of seeing a price that's "plus registration and dealer delivery" I now have absolutely no idea what the price is at all!

And now I have to research more price information and I no longer even have a rough idea of what price bracket a particular item falls into which means I have to waste more time finding out rough prices before going to a dealer to find out exact prices.

Yeah... that new law worked out real helpful :roll:
  14. Perhaps the law works perfectly but manufacturers and dealers are pretending to be 12yo's and having a hissy fit? How hard can it be for a local dealer to display the prices of the products that he sells, inclusive of ALL the charges?

Remember when the airlines were selling those $10 fares and these were outlawed too? The whinged and whined then, but as a consumer I much prefer having the actual price they expect me to pay being presented in the initial offer, rather than 10mins into an online transaction.
  15. ZRX1200R, did you read the rest of my post? I said that not all manufacturers used to display / advertise RRPs anyway, so you still would have been forced to pick up the phone for some motorcycles before these new laws came in.

I also said that once vehicle manufacturers feel the need to get competitive again (like when they see shitty 3Q results or New Year approaches), they will start displaying / advertising prices again, with the benefit that this time they will be ACTUAL prices and not indicative prices.

Go and have a look at motorcar webpages for the UK. I've just checked three (Ford, Toyota and Mini) and they all display On The Road prices. That's where we're heading, once the geriatric geezers who run Australian companies can get their thick heads around this latest change in terms of trade.
  16. This law is dumb as it seems to apply to online. It should only apply to print media.

Why? Well if you are researching a bike online, you obviously know about ORC's. And you obviously know that they vary between locality. Thanks to these stupid new rules, it is impossible to find the price of a bike/vehicle with options sans ORC's.
  17. Geez people build a frickin bridge! This wasn't a law passed just to annoy people considering the purchase of a motorbike, it was done to help better inform consumers across the board for all types of products purchased. On those grounds alone I'm completely in support of such legislation. Trying to fine tune laws like this to exclude certain items because of the perceived inconvenience is time consuming and ultimately futile. There's more important things for governments to be doing with their time and my money.
  18. I absolutely support this law since it is to the benefit of the consumers. How can transparency of princing NOT be to the benefit of the consumer?!? It's a good thing, period. Sellers will cry foul, they will grumble and threaten as they always do... and then they will comply if we give them no choice. And ultimately we'll all be better off for it.
  19. Here is the problem Listen and listen good because I am only going to explain it once :) The advertising for motor vehicle is done nationaly by the manufactures or the importers. you have an RRP for the product. now each state has its own stamp duty and sometimes but rarely you will have different transport costs. then you have different rego costs and in each state you have a rego cost for pensioners TPi different suburbs. so even localy you could have at least 4 different on road prices. so a tpi that does not pay stamp duty or gst should pay the full price so should someone living in a rural area pay the same rego as someone living in the city. then we can have a RRP with drive away. At the moment it is easier for the sales guys to work out what the drive away price is for each situation. Remember if you add a spoiler or tinted windows you should pay stamp duty on those parts as well yet more variations. None of this applies to a litre of milk. If a sales person is not prepared to show and explain to you what the costs are then don't buy from them. if you don't ask what the ride away price is you are a rare person indeed. surprisingly none of this applies to a house purchase????
  20. No need to. I think that everyone understands how it works. It's just that some object to the need for the new laws for various reasons.

What makes it difficult is for new vehicle purchasers who use the Internet to comparison shop. ie. go to Mazda's website and then say, Mitsubishi's website and compare vehicles of a similar class.

If they (the manufacturers) no longer wish to do this then it means a trip to the dealers concerned to get badgered by a condescending salesshark, get the runaround and some bullshit price that may or may not be what you'll be able to buy the car for.

Or, you read the latest Master Bike road tests but none of the bikes' prices are listed as AMCN can't get them. If that's how the law works, that is.

At least if the basic list price is advertised you can then work from that.