Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

whats the point really of the " passing" button

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by stanga169, Apr 19, 2010.

1. on my cbf i have a button that turns the high beams on as long as i hold it down. I really did not notice it was there until a few days ago but i find if i need to flash the high beams its just as easy to turn on/off. I spose its just so u dont leave your highs on but surly they could have spent the money on making the bike better than on that silly little switch? i dunno

2. It's easy ... to alert your fellow oncoming riders (and even the cars) to nearby road activity or operations that would make their wallets a little lighter and their license points score a little higher :)
  3. thought as much but still , they could have spent the mone on giving the bike nos or something like that lol
  4. what 15 cents? That aint a lotta nos
  5. What do you think the switch is there for? NOS is not going to pass ADRs now is it?8-[
  6. you have just given me an excellent idea...
  7. In some Euro countries you have too flash your light to pass,i use it as my high beam button gets stuck on.
  8. i was really hopeing if i could get it up 88.8 mph i could jump back in time . but it would have to be just as the clock tower got struck with lightning
  9. I like the button myself. Turning my highbeam on turns my lowbeam off, so if i really need to see the road in front of me, hitting the PASS puts them both on.
  10. Yeah, you are supposed to flash your beams before overtaking so the car acknowledges your existence (and has a chance to speed up and try and block you).

**taken from the RTA webpage**
    When you overtake another vehicle, you’re allowed to briefly flash your high beams immediately before starting to overtake.

I also find it useful for short periods where you have no street lighting, but have a few oncoming vehicles, so it's easier to flick on/off.
  11. Anyone in here been on the roads in Delhi, by night ?
    It's Christmas EVERY evening over there...highbeams are a regular thing from all drivers.
    At one point it became ridiculously annoying - I mean, it's not THAT hard to see a car approaching from behind (at night) with his low beams on.....
    The interesting things a 'traveller' gets to see....

If I was Obelix, I'd be shaking my head..."These Gauls are crazy" :)
  12. It's for TEC duties on group rides.
  13. I think the button is great. A flash of light is much more noticable than tiny indicators. Overseas, people use it all the time when over taking. Australian drivers are mostly too brain dead to notice or care if they've been flashed.
  14. Our instructor at HART told us that button is used on European freeways where a bike is travelling at say 160km/h and wants to overtake a car doing 155km/h in the same lane.

In Europe etc when a vehicle is in the fast lane and another vehicle is fast approaching them from behind hi beams the car in front actually takes notice and moves aside to the next lane in order to give the faster driver/rider way.
  15. trucks use them, very few other vehicles do.
  16. Which makes our using of them a valid exercise. I know I use mine all the time, it's easier to reach than switching the high/low beam switch and, even though it's not common here, most motorists seem to know exactly what it means if they get flashed....no rude comments, please.

"These Romans are crazy!"

Gotta love Asterix and Obelix.
  17. rc36... thanks mate, my bad !
    Getting 'Asterix and Obelix' dyslexic in my old age :)
    Used to LOVE reading those books.
  18. They are required on all vehicles for most European markets, and we get them by default.
    Europeans and Brits seem to use them efficiently to communicate their intentions, whereas Australians use the "blindside 'em and gain a position" approach to driving and riding.
  19. Failing that, you could always do this...

20. Spot on mate, I'm getting very sick of this arrogant and dangerous approach that virtually every australian driver lives by. If someone sees someone else attempting a legal merge (ie use of blinker well in advance) they speed up to block the c*nt! So next time the guy who got mugged before sneeks across without warning to avoid detection. The complete oposite of safe practise. I found that I'm forced to do this in my cage sometimes because its not that powerful people just screw you over for fun. All the speeding campaigns in the world won't fix this.

The old flash of the pass button can work well on the freeway if someone won't move from the right lane. But often offensive is taken by the driver.