Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

whats the point of a vip card

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by stanga169, Aug 7, 2010.

1. when my bike was bought a honda vip card was given, when jacket shopping yesterday i asked what discount i could get with it and was told 10 %, i came back later that arvo and was looking again , never mentioned said card and asked what deal could be done , 10 % again, whats the point of the vip card , i reckon if u continue to shop where u bought the bike the discount should be more than whats given everywhere( different sales guy i should add)

2. dont expect anything more than '10%' discount from bike dealers...

i recently laid out $17000 for a Triumph Daytona 2011 se and i bought $1500 worth of gear and all they gave me discount for the gear was $150...its complete bullshit...after laying out 17000 grand and only getting that much off blew my mind..

i will only go back to the dealer for servicing for warranty scheduled maintainence...thats all

buy all accessories/gear online...
  3. But go and try them all on in the stores to get your sizes :p.
    Me, a 2XL shirt is a tad loose (but an XL is a bit tight :p)... and my dri rider jacket is actually a 5XL :p. I think its a 5XL on the outside above all the armour, wet insulation, heat insulation and all the rest, rather then the inside. If i hadnt tried it on first, likely id have bought a 3XL to go over all the work gear, and i wouldnt have been able to touch the zipper :p.
    Cant breathe in to make your rib cage shrink.....
  4. what's the problem? the card GUARANTEES you a 10% discount; if others don't ask for one, they don't get it

as Chris says, you're not going to get more than 10% discount under any circumstances; with people as suggested trying on in the shop and then shafting the poor dealer by buying the same product on-line, I'm surprised dealers bother, anyway.......
  5. Twelve months ago I went into Peter Stevens (Ringwood) looking for a pair of summer gloves.
    I wanted to spend $50 and told the sales person, he grabbed a pair of Dri Rider gloves that had a RRP of $59.95 and sold them to me for $50 that's 20% off.

A few weeks ago I went to AMX Bayswater looking for a pair of winter waterproof pants. They had Rjays on special for $129 but didn't have my size.
    I simply asked what else they had in the price range and they offered me a pair of Scotts pants that retailed for $349 and on special for $179 for $150. That's almost 20% of their already reduced price.

They can do better than 10% but sometimes it's not worth the hassle trying to get it.
    Just go online when it suits.
  6. Who's shafting? There is this economic concept called "competition", or put another way, you charge a reasonable $$ and I'll buy from you.
    I'd ask the dealer (after trying the goods on) can you match xxx$?
    If the answer was no, he loses. tough.
  7. I generally prefer service over price. Cheaper = a lot better, yes. But I don't buy bike gear online, because I'd rather have a few good dealerships I can go to and ask some questions and get decent answers cause I'm a loyal customer, and they know I don't stuff them around.
  8. I would normally agree with your comments on competition but not in this case.

It is unfair to expect a retail store to compete with an online store with less overheads. If you ask the store to match another store fair enough but not an online store. Someone has to pay for the store you go in to to try stuff on.

If you go to a store and try stuff on then go and buy elsewhere then you are shafting them.

It then gets complicated because it's your money and you want the cheapest price. Who cares where it comes from as long as you get the cheapest price. Trouble is soon there wont be any retail stores and you'll have to buy everything on line.
  9. I would NEVER try on at one store and buy at another. I'd feel seedy. The only reason I could ever do that would be crap customer service.

If I feel pressured, or they don't treat me with respect then that's when I'd go elsewhere. But it's not happened yet, really.
  10. At what point does the price disparity make it unavoidable to shop online? My leather jacket and boots were way out of my price range if I had tried to buy from a shop. Online was literally half the price including shipping. In my instance, for my money I got better quality gear which ultimately could be the difference in a crash.
  11. I'm not objecting to buying on-line, it's a free economy and you can buy wherever you like

but trying a product on in a store when you have no intention of buying it there, so you can see if it fits when you shop on-line is bad manners at best and treating with dealer with contempt at worst

I challenge any of you who think it's ok to reverse the roles and see how you'd feel

and spare me the "if their prices were lower..." guff; dealers that have to pay site rent, insurance, workers' comp, lighting, water, etc etc pay the same at wholesale as the on-line opportunists, but can't compete for those very reasons......
  12. Im sure they do have to pay all that hornet, but that doesnt explain why goods from a store in Australia are a 50% or more mark up on goods in store elsewhere overseas that still have to pay those expenses
  13. Yeah, double the price is gouging, no matter how many auxiliary expenses a physical store has.
  14. seriously mate, how much profit margin do you think Honda give bike shops to work with, exactly?

different brands have different profit margins. my friendly advice, get to know the guy at your bike shop. know the dude's name. ask for him when you're browsing. any dude. just pick one, and you will automatically start building a business relationship. hell, even if some other guy says he's not working today he will still identify that you're a regular and not just a random customer, and look after you as such when you gently prod the price tag issue. generally, counter staff don't rely on commision and like to look after the regulars.

15. sorry, you're wrong

if you buy from a US store, it's in a marketplace with different tarriffs and taxes, and a population of 250 million potential customers (leaving aside children, of course)

here we want the same level of service and pricing with a population of just over 20 million and the same wholesale ex-factory prices
  16. double post
  17. correct, hornet.

grass is always greener... etc
  18. In the current financial climate with mortgages and loans I'm looking after numero uno. If i can import gear from a shop in the States for half price (with shipping) than what a store in Australia can offer, than I'm sorry but my money is too valuable to me to worry about the rip off merchants.
  19. bikemart looked after me, + 1 for them
  20. I have no problem with that statement at all, as long as you don't go and try the stuff on in the store to check sizes before you order online.