Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Whats the going price on an FZR250?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Owen, Aug 17, 2005.

1. This ad was in the trading post:

(Yamaha FZR250 1987 Blue Needs work, Fairing damage and other minor work required, VIN 2KR129190 $1500 negotiable WYNN VALE 0412-27 1622. )

Seems a little fishy to me???

"MINOR" work?

What do you guys reckon?

-Owen

2. sounds like buying someone elses problems. potential recipe for pain and suffering :-k tread carefully i reckon.

3. I liked my fzr. =[

But they are definately for the mechanically inclined.
    They have known mechanical issues. fuel pumps/carbs/oil leaks/suspensino wear
    They are old which is the main reason for mechanical failures
    They are an import which means everythings hard to get.

Parts are damn near impossible to find, and if you do, then they will either be aftermarket, or second hand.
    Fairings are available readily however (probably due to demand :oops: ) but are mostly fibreglass.

I havn't heard of anybody that specailises on fzr250's but everybody insists that they know about them, ask a few technical questions about them and you will soon realise that they are not.

My own opinion is that if you like a project then go for it, but if you want a good bike, get somthing newer with a roadworthy cert.

www.fzr250.com

4. Sounds like one to avoid IMHO, for a whole raftload of reasons.

5. this may sound dumb but wat is IMHO??

6. Is it the price that makes it seem like one to avoid? Or the fact that it is scrathed with "other" work needed?

REDBOOK quotes like 4K.

7. send a PM to patske - he bought one not so long ago, had a few troubles with it but it seems to be going ok now.

8. The admission of damage, the age (the later FZR250-3LN's are significanty better than the 2KR's; alloy frames, bigger carbs, EXUP valve, better brakes)... there will be much better FZR250's to be had for not much more money.

As far as this one goes, do as Bronski Beat said and "run away, run away, run away, turn away, run away...", and so forth.

9. Ok thanks heaps people.

"..run away, run away, from the paaaaaain....."

Have to keep my eyes open for some more then..

Why cant adelaide have more bikes!!!!!

10. Redbook seems to be full of shite for 250s - not sure why. Might have something to do with their inflated price due to learner demand. *shrugs*

11. The price is probably a bit high. But due to the demand for 250cc "sport" bikes it is quite reasonable to be expecting to pay that much.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you would spend up to 4000 to get it up to scratch

12. Red Book really seems to be adding fuel to the fire on the 250 'sports' bike prices - either that or just reflecting the BS that's happening everywhere else. In my mind you should start out with the magical $3k number in your head as a starting point; higher if you can actually afford it (not a bank loan, please no!) and lower if you find a bargain (not a shit heap, an actual bargain).

It's pretty common for a learner bike to be $3-4k... outside of that range is the exception rather than the rule.