Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's the etiquette when stopping at lights?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by rob53, May 30, 2008.

1. Last night whilst riding back from work, another bike was in front of my in the same lane. He was on the left side of the lane.

I was wondering what do you normally do?
    A) Pull up next the the other bike on the right side of the lane
    8) Stand behind like a cager

I ended up choosing option B :roll:
  2. I would move to right but stay behind the other rider, that way they know you are there but you are not going to be in their way when they take off.
  3. + 1 unless you plan on dragging them off at the lights. :LOL:
  4. In those sorts of situations I'll ride in 'staggered' formation to increase my forward visibility (but still leave a typical braking distance).

At the lights I usually compress the staggered formation so that I'm stopped beside them... But usually I'll be slightly further back so the front of their bike is ahead of mine, to 'hint' that they should go first.
  5. Generally I pull up beside them, about a wheel length behind, if they acknowledge you feel free to have a chat, if they don’t then just sit back and wait, By sitting this little bit back I view it as giving them rights on the lane.
  6. Normally If I can I just go next to them like others has said but stay just behind him/her so they know I wont be dragging them or try to overtake them.

Also if I'm the only bike infront of the traffic I try to leave space for another bike if one happens to filter to the front....
  7. I always pull up beside them, say "G'day!". If they talk, then fine, if not, I just take off at my own pace when the lights change. I don't try to drag anyone off. Get some interesting things happen. Some will wheelie past you, some will try to drag you off (even though I'm clearly not trying), while most will pull off at their own speed as well, and let the cards fall where they may with respect to ordering down the road.
  8. All the posts are saying the same thing and I agree with them.

Pull up next to the rider, but slightly behind, indicating you acknowledge the other rider has right of way. Unless it's obviously a slower bike. People don't get upset if you sit slightly further fwd indicating you will be ttaking the front position from them (eg R1 vs CT110). I don't anyway. (edit: +1 to above post, if there is enough room, you'll both naturally find a space. I often immediatley change lanes after taking off then it's no issue)

Oh, and also, if you filter through to the front of the queue - move out from between the cars and into a lane so others can get to the front too!! :cool: Sometimes there are so many bikes (in good weather!!) that about six of us all end up filtering through to the front, so you need to make sure everyone gets right to the front, not stuck between the cars and also having a clue about who is going to go where/who will have right of way whan you all madly take off :grin:

Then as you all reach the next line of stationary traffic, just be clear with nods, indicators and lane position who is going to filter through first (hint: let the narrow NSR150s through first as they can fit through anywhere :LOL: )
  9. *sniff* I miss my lil' VTR250. Could slowride quite comfortably through gaps my fully-faired friends had to fold in mirrors and duckwalk through.

If you got stuck on the VTR250, you knew it was a tight gap. :p
  10. :WStupid:
    Yep, I ride in a staggered formation behind the bike.
    Distance .. :-k That depends... if it's a female with a great lookin ass, I try riding close enough to enjoy the view :p
  11. To be honest, there is part of me that thinks I should keep this bike for years after I get off restrictions as I commute on it and it is perfect, quick, nimble and narrow...why would I spend three times the money on something less practical...but man I just WANT a 600 so badly...maybe I should run two bikes til I decide... :-k

And a good is to sit where you can see their face in their mirrors I find...
  12. Great advice, thanks all, I do that next time. And I'll remember to not block the lane/gap next time I filter. :oops:
  13. Likewise, if somebody pulls up next to you but is giving you the right of way as it were, make sure you clear off nice and quick so he can get into another lane or find himself plenty of space.
  14. +1 on all counts
  15. I am a big fan of coming up beside them and chatting, I will let them go first though (they were there first)
  16. mmm...I must be a petrol-head or something...If they are sitting in the left of the lane, then I take that as them keeping the right clear for anyone who wants to move up and go first, so I will always pull up about a half a bike length ahead of them, and look back to acknowledge them and say thanks.

I take off assuming they are giving me the right of way (that's why they went to the left of the lane - at least, that's why "I" do it)...If they then drag me off, I just ignore them 'most' of the time. :wink:

17. Good manners suggests that the first bike there has "right of way" like you say, and I always move as far towards the edge of the lane as I can because, once again, it's just plain good etiquette to leave room for a fellow rider.

I've noticed that some people don't seem to get this and sit in the centre of the lane between cars. I normally give them a quick toot on the horn so they get the idea and move out of the way. Always funny when it's someone on a big bike with an even bigger opinion of themselves who gives you a dirty look (I assume so anyway, these blokes always seem to have tinted visors). If I get time I say G'day and try and explain why I used the horn without causing a confrontation.

There's also a prevailing attitude that cc's rule right of way at lights. Most people seem to be polite enough and stay back a wheel length or so, but occasionally I get the odd straight line legend on a litre bike who barges through. Goes with the territory when you ride a GPX I guess :p
  18. +1 :oops:
  19. I understand about letting the bigger and faster bike go first...

But what about Vespas? Are they free game for me zoom past? They seem to always want to take off quicker than I do... perhaps seeing a fat bloke on a 250 they think they can finally beat someone.
  20. The only other bike that I've been with at a stop was a bicycle (racer). Last time I saw them was in my mirrors :)

Don't worry, it was all nice and plenty of space between us. Two wheels is still two wheels.