Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Whats the diff between Caltex Delo 400 and Caltex Delo Gold?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pengo, Dec 25, 2010.

1. G'day

Just wondering what the difference is between the two oils.

Looking at the Caltex Australia site they appear to be the same thing, the only thing I can see is different is one specifically refers to pre Sept2002 us emissions specs.

I've been to two Caltex stations and one stocks the gold and the other the 400, with neither bottle having the energy saving circle on it or mention of low emissions (ie not Delo LE).

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the two oils? After I change the next lot of oil, I'm going to give Delo 400 a crack on my 250 to see what its like.

NB: Not after responses about the merits of using diesel oil in the bike, I've read over the "which oil is best" threads and come to the conclusion that this oil is worth a try at least. Thanks.

2. why use diesel oil in a bike?
  3. From reading countless threads about engine oils, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with using this diesel oil on the bike. As it does not contain friction modifiers and meets the specs for bikes and their clutches. It also comes from a good base oil stock and is cheaper than a lot of other preimum brand bike oils. So its worth a try at least.

For further information have a read of this:
    Anyway I'm not interested in a debate about the merits of using this, just wondering what the difference is between the two different versions of it.
  4. The 400 is ISOSYN or semi synthetic. Newer formulation. It also has a higher Base number. Which means it's better at neutralising acids.
  5. Cheers for that, so the one without isosyn is a full mineral oil?

In anycase a little bit more research on the versions of Delo 400 and its the "Delo 400 Multigrade" not the Gold or any other version that should be used.
  6. I'm under the impression the gold contains friction modifiers & shouldn't be used with wet clutches... I could be wrong though...