Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's the best way to park a bike on a sloping driveway?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Carbineer, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Came across this slight dilema at my parent's house, not wanting to leave the bike on the street.
    I ended up pointing the bike uphill at about a 2 o'clock angle as it felt the most stable.

Just wondering how the rest of you guys do it...

Pointing uphill? Downhill?

Sideways with the stand uphill? Stand downhill?
  2. Facing uphill is safest. Also easier to get out again as well. If you MUST park facing downhill, put the bike in 1st gear so that it can't roll off the sidestand.
  3. Uphill means it's very difficult for the bike to 'roll off' the sidestand. You'll only park it down hill, turn round and hear 'crunch' as it rolls forward and over, once :LOL:
  4. +1.

If it's a steepish slope, I leave it in first gear anyway so that there's no risk of the bike rolling backwards either.
  5. If for some reason you can't park it facing up the hill, would reversing into the curb so the left of the bike is pointing down hill be better then front facing down?

Thats for a steephill
  6. yeah, up hill, in gear...remember to let the bike role back against the gears once it is turned off, so it can't go any further.
    On moving off...leave th bike off, just role it into a better postion using the clutch to control the role. Then start it up once you're in a better spot from which to depart.