Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's the best route for commuting from Point Cook to Hawthorn?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by bulby, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I live in the Point Cook area, and work in Hawthorn (near Swinburne Uni). Have always been taking public transports since I started working here a couple of years ago. It wasn't a big deal as I was living in the city.

Why move all the way to Point Cook? Mostly me over-estimating Melbourne's public transport systems :nopity:

So yah. Does anyone here commute to and from similar areas?
    I've never drove or rode to work, so I have no idea what the traffic is like. But I heard the experience of going over the Westgate Bridge in peak hour traffic is not dissimilar to getting anal probe.
  2. Drop TOADS a pm. He does a similar commute... it's soul destroying when the police solo's are out picking off filtering riders.
  3. If you ride, take the freeway over the Westgate Bridge, through Burnley Tunnel (no e-tag needed), get off at the end of the tunnel which is Burnley St...left at Burnley St, then either right onto Swan St or go further up to Bridge Rd/Burwood Hwy. (Google Map Link)

If you take the car, Westgate will still be pretty quick even though you average about 20-30km/hr between 6:30-8:30AM (obviously depends on day/accidents/RDO/etc). However if you don't have E-tag, you'd need to get off at Power St (last exit before tunnel), take a right onto City Rd...from there traffic might be light, since most people will be heading in the opposite direction on City Rd. (Google Map Link)

If you want to be more adventurous and don't want to take the Westgate Fwy, while being but ****d...you can get onto the Princes Hwy, then onto Dynon, though Victoria St and into Hawthorn. (Google Map Link)

I suggest you ride in...Westgate Fwy is a pretty shocking freeway to be on during peak...especially when you're heading home on a Friday afternoon and everyone is scramming to get home.

EDIT: Forgot to add. I live in Deer Park and work in Clayton. Have taken both car and bike to work (more so bike) and trust me, car is definitely a pain in the arse...takes me on average and hour and a half to get to work by car...worst was 2 hours, however this is without the tunnel, so I think I'd shave another 20mins going through tunnel. Bike...40mins to max 1hour during peak traffic.
    • Like Like x 1