Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's Riding Like?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by fuzzymonkey, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I don't ride now but am considering trading my car for a bike. I can't afford to have both.

I've done as much research as i can about every aspect of riding a bike. I've read about their performance, maintenance, safety gear and standards, riding techniques, everything i can think of.

I have my RTA pre-learners course booked in and if i like it. I might buy a cheap bike with a tiny engine. Just to start.

Only hesitant to give up my car because i REALLY enjoy driving it. It's an old turbo, 4wd ford laser. It's small, loud and i love the torque curve (RPM is your friend!), love the insane grip it has. I don't drive like a really crazy person, but it's fun being able to take lights that are about to change, or a greasy/bumpy off camber corner, or stop the car super quick.

I'm used to the car. Can break hard and not lock up on most surfaces. I can handle the car in a slide. Can rev match when i shift(Just in case someone gets the wrong impression- I am NOT acting like a racer, i got into the habit of rev matching because gear synchros don't work so good).

I guess responses might be a bit biased, but thought i'd ask anyway:
    Is riding FUN?
  2. Yes it is.
  3. It's a bit like enjoying driving. But a squillion times better.
  4. Dude I've always loved driving cars and just sold my 90 model tx3 turbo laser 2 buy a bike.

I've never ride'n before and just did my L's test.

The thing is if u try and u dont like it, sell it and buy another car. U dont have 2 lose money if u do it right.

All in all though I'm keen as 2 get a bike, I mean whats not 2 like. Go cruise'n on the weekends, ride'n everywhere becomes fun, no traffic, u can take it 2 the track for a spin and u become a part of a special little club!

I'd say go for it but remember just because u can drive a car like weapon doesnt mean u can do the same with a bike. If u've got that attitude u'll end up look'n like a dropped pie
  5. ok, so don't be a crazy person. I think i can get that into my head. Especially since i'm big fan of not dying.

I'll first get my hands on a postie bike just be sure :p
  6. haha u dont need 2 go that far...I just got a 07 GPX 250, 10 month reg, 4300km for $4400

I dont know if a postie will give u the real feel for what a bike is like as its an auto or semi auto...no clutch.

Anyway just ask around here as u need 2 know things, the guys here are awesome @ answering questions from no nothings like us.
  7. I used to dream about riding bikes (actual nighttime dreams), begged my missus for ages, finally she gave up and let me get a bike.

I personally reckon riding a motorbike is the equivalent of riding a surfboard (or snowboarding) down the road. So yeah, alot more fun than driving.
  8. It's awful. Bugs in your face. On cold days, hail builds up in your crotch. On hot days, you get a sweaty arse.

Terrible. Hate it.

9. It's SO much more involving than driving. You will feel like a learner all over again, making dumb mistakes like stalling etc, but it's so rewarding. The only advice I can give you is to do it! Also, do yourself a favour and don't get a postie. A 250 will be fine for what you want. Hope you love it as much as we all do!
  10. Yeh but you don't have to worry about shrinkage because riding a motorcycle makes your cock and balls 10 times bigger!

I was thinking of downgrading to a 600 so i could finally enter the p0rn industry without intimidating the p0rn actresses too much. :rofl:
  11. What's riding like compared to driving?

It's a lot more visceral, for better and worse.

You feel subtle changes in wind temperature and sunlight. Smells are more immediate and noticable, for better or worse.

If it's hot, you swelter. If it's cold, you freeze. If it rains, your gear gets wet (and you do too, if it's not waterproof). If it's windy, you get blown around a bit.

With no power steering and no brake booster (on the vast majority of bikes), your connection to the road is a lot more direct than most modern vehicles, which can be rewarding if you're into that sort of thing. :)

Acceleration's better, urban agility and ease of parking's better. Having to wear earplugs to protect your hearing at speeds >60kph can be frustrating at times.

In a word, it's more visceral.
  12. Put it like this - when you drive, you are just driving a car. When you ride, you are right in amongst the thick of it - the world is totally in your face rushing by, its a big challenge, but totally utterly addictive!!
  13. Its the au naturale of transport. You see it, you feel it, you smell it and if you open your mouth you taste it :sick:
  14. It's so much fun that you will find yourself spending your entire disposable income and a bit more, for the term of your natural life, in search of a bigger, better fix of whatever it is that's so magical about it.

Like recreational drugs really, but without the social acceptability or government funded rehab programs.
  15. once you've taught your body to control the bike like it was just an extension of your body, so that it just becomes automatic response behaviour...then it's just like flying everywhere you go...if you can imagine flying about 5 feet of the ground...and some naked bikes you don't have any part of the bike in your field of vision at all...much like when superman flys...but, with riding you have zero room for error, unlike a car...so it's an intense, focussed, precission activity...i have to stress zero room for error though, your life depends on your accuracy...and of course the lives of other road users around you, considering you've basically transformed yourself into a guided missile...riding gives you a hieghtenned state of awareness, it's an endorphin rush, not unlike a drug...you''ll never ever be satisfied by a car again...so be aware, theres no going back should you take up riding...it will be in your blood for the rest of your days...and that might not be a good thing for some.
  16. Supoib=D>
  17. Like you I came from a performance car background (ah hang on, a "laser" you said? :D), anyway, I started riding in March 2008 out of practicality rather than a desire to ride bikes, did the L's course (was ok but didn't like the CB250, too small) then bought a brand new Kawasaki KLE500 (dual sport bike). Thought it would make a good first bike and good commuter which was going to be its main job. Sure it was a very capable bike, extremely easy to handle and so good in the Sydney rush hour commute.

BUT, I hated riding on social rides. I tried a few times but could never see the point of it, even on the twisties I just kept thinking how much more fun this would be in my previous car (Honda S2000). The noise in the helmet was unbearable so had to wear earplugs at anything over 60kph, putting on all the gear was a pain in the arse and it was incredibly uncomfortable after an hour in the saddle. Just didn't get it.

THEN, I changed my bike about a month ago and I discovered why I had not enjoyed riding ... it was all because of the bike! Basically the KLE was the bike equivalent of a small SUV, designed to be good on the road and off road but not great at either. Having come from a powerful, grippy sportscar with lots of feedback to a bike with none of that, I was understandably underwhelmed. My new bike is more like the bike equivalent of an S2000, in fact I would go so far as to say it outshines even that! I used to constantly think about how I was going to be able to get myself an S again but now I don't feel the need, the sensation of riding the Z is indescribable.

So the point I want to make is this, a lot of people here will say that riding a bike is the best thing ever, most (not all before I get flamed!) of them either never drove a car before or more importantly never drove a performance car before. For them jumping on a LAMS bike was an amazing experience and I can fully understand that. However for someone coming from a performance car background looking for an equal or better experience riding a bike, I would just say that a LAMS bike "may" not provide the adrenelin rush you seek, maybe for a couple of months but it might fade quickly. But persevere and when you get to ride the bike equivalent of a performance car you will probably find that rush again like I did.

You might want to consider trying to keep the car and get a cheap 250 bike to start you off, that way you can still get the rush from the car while also building the skills you need on the bike.

18. Rybky is right on this one I think, I dont think I'll ever stop wanting to give the car a good trashing but in saying that a 250 sports bikes arnt slow for learners like us.

I just bought a 07 GPX which is not considered a fast bike but with a 0 to 100 time of aprox 6 seconds it's still gonna be quicker than the laser...unless u've got some sweet mods and figured out how 2 fix that poor excuse for a gear box.

TX3 Laser = gearbox made of glass
  19. If you can only afford 1 keep the car!
    Do not be lulled into the idea that bikes are cheap to buy, own and run.

They are fun however.
  20. I came from a line of high performance vehicles, and it was a thrill when your on that 1/4 mile strip at Eastern Creek, pulling 11-12 sec ET's.

I've owned a S6 RX-7, R32 GT-R and boosted V-TEC Type R. In the 7 years I've owned these, I would have spent approx. 100k all up to feed my addiction.

So moral of the story is: You can get similar satisfaction and experience with a bike, at a fraction of the cost! So far I've spent 9k on my 1st, and the powerband on my RS reminds me of those days. I can only imagine what it would feel like to be on a 600cc-1000cc superbike :)

I will alway love fast cars, but right now the passion is bikes. I do have a stock 325ci Beamer in my arsenal when I need to do grocery shopping.