Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's kept you alive?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jekyll, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hi.

To all those who've had close calls with unexpected doom, what habits, hard-earned skills, protective gear or party tricks kept you out of harm's way?

Don't say pure luck or baby Jesus.

And feel free to ditto other people's posts ( quote and +1, +2 etc) ...
  2. and, of course, if something bad happens to YOU, and all your amazing skills amount to nothing, you'll be the first to whine, "Why did God allow this to happen to me??" :roll:
  3. yeah, nah.
    not exactly cool to do the ol' "+1" thing.
    i suggest people give reasonable answers and contribute to the thread ;)
  4. I've had alot of close calls but what got me out of them all was really good timing, splitting skills and good bike control.
  5. I'm an atheist. So, no.

But what I meant by this was that I'm looking for specific things I can do to save my ass.
  6. I wish I was a betting man......
  7. Please, keep it on topic or I'll have to call in one of the mods!

8. Yeah, I've read some of your threads. I don't doubt that you can ride well, but I think we have different attitudes to bike safety :)

I do think that some less frequent riders might be at more risk than people who ride all the time though - as you say, having sharp skills is a big step in the right direction.

'Course, accident risk also increases pretty linearly with mileage IIRC so maybe not.
  9. The thing that kept me alive when I was hit by a van was staying calm. I've been training myself for years in a car to not react emotionally to anything that happens on the road. The only way to learn to do that is through experience - once you've had a couple of accidents and close calls, and realised that they're survivable then you stop worrying about dying and it leaves you free to stay in partial control right through the incident.

It's meant that in the car I've been able to make a split second decision and choose the softest of two objects to crash into, and on the bike it meant I was able to stay upright while I had a van trying very hard to knock me over.
  10. The safest way is to always to keep an eye on all traffic and have a safe way out at all times.But this doesn't always work,sometimes you can just get taken out and not have any idea what happened until you pick yourself up of the tar
  11. Emergency breaking and aiming to escape route...remember to pull in clutch if you have time to. Almost rode up a P platers arse and had my foot ran over by a truck.
  12. These are crucial. They are stressed in training videos etc for a reason. Practice emergency stops regularly. It is important to be able to stop a bike quickly without falling off it and you need well honed skills to do that.

Also be aware of your surroundings and always know where you will aim if something happens. Your escape routes will change constantly and you'll need to be aware of your options. Doing this has allowed me to roll on the throttle and escape danger many times. I have used my throttle to avoid collisions at least as often as my brakes if not more. It is a great option if you know where you need to point the bike. :)
  13. I would say judo practice, especially break fall practice has saved me from greater damage then sustained. Last fall my helmet and spinal area didnt touch the ground.

Also protective gear played a huge part
  14. Stubbornness.
  15. No traffic on the road... :eek: :cry:
  16. It depends on who you ask... According to my parents it was "not owning a bike for 30 years!"
    According to me: "Supernatural skills(I usually call it "luck" but you said I couldn't, so...) to avoid tha tcar/bus/truck that seems to be attracted by my very own gravitational field"
  17. 1. Ride like you are invisible
    2. Never ride beside a car
    3. Pass wide and pass fast
    4. Look where you want to go rather than where you will possibly crash
  18. Dumb luck for one. Alot of reading that I did/do gave me experience to avoid incidents.

Also in some cases (eg. coming in to a corner too hot), shock has stunned me into inaction, and everything kind of worked out.

But so far the biggest factor in keeping me alive is never pushing it much further than what I'm comfortable with. Makes for slow skill development..
  19. * Pre-empting the wants and needs of other road users, so you are rarely where they might want to be. (That 'sixth sense' of being able to read the traffic and tell when there's a high probability of someone changing lanes, pulling out, etc)

Though fortunately I haven't had to be involved in any accidents to develop this, touch wood.
  20. hatred, loathing and spite....

26 years of fond flaming memories! :p