Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's it worth??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Jul 6, 2008.

1. My wife's nephew had a brief and inglorious flirtation with motorcycling a few years ago, and the result is a bike sitting in my mother-in-law's garage, unregistered and suffering from terminal lack of interest.

Its a Honda VT-250C, silver in colour, with a 4/96 compliance plate. It's done only 34,000 kms, and the only damage is a bent brake lever and both mirrors were broken and removed after a low-speed fall in Sydney.

The tyres are virtually new and although I haven't heard it run, I've no reason to assume it's not in good condition mechanically; the lack of interest came about as a result of the fall, not a breakdown.

I'm trying to encourage him to sell it (maybe to me so Mrs Hornet can get back on a bike again), so I'm curious as to what it might be worth.

And, no, I don't have a picture !
  2. hornet what does redbook say as a very rough guide? or maybe he should do family rates and give you a great deal?
  3. I wouldn't know how or where to consult Redbook, but prices on bikesales.com.au vary around $5,000 for models of similar year :shock:.
  4. Thanks for that joel. I guess that means that as a 1996 model it's worth considerably less than $2000 (trade-in price) if that's what a 2000 model is worth.
  5. with the standard family discount,i reckon a slab of beer should cover it.
  6. Hmmm compliance 96... built in year though? like 88 or 89. I wouldn't pay more than 2500.
  7. ?? Is this model a grey import, phiz?
  8. I seen a couple on ebay, owners had difficulty selling at $1600 - 1800.
  9. Didn't know Casey Stoner owned so many VTR's :roll:

With LAMS well entrenched, haven't a clue how come these things are supposedly worth so much :?

eBay the benchmark - you're there ready with cash, no hassle sale and hardly gonna rip them off. Show them the redbook as well, but usually a little under what most pay.

And check the build against compliance, as not a fan of "grey" imports but plenty own them without too many dramas.
  10. Paul I'd think $2200 should be enough.
    Fluids will likely need changing and the chain could have tight spots from sitting.
    It will need some money spent on it :)
  11. With no rego and considering it's pre VTR and pre Spada, I'd be surprise if it even got that.