Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's a good scooter for a large person?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by EclipseoftheDarkSun, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Hi there,

I'm considering buying a scooter for commuting to work/uni and I'd like to get something that's going to be able to handle my size, something reasonably rugged and highset I guess.

I'm 6'4" and weigh 110kg - if I lost weight and got down to my "ideal" weight, I'd weigh ~90-95kg.

Any good brands/engine sizes I should aim for?

For a scooter, is it recommended that I get the various protective gear that motorcycle riders wear - apart from the helmet of course. I'd feel a bit silly geared up like that with just a scooter, though of course I'd be glad of it in an accident.

Thanks for any advice people. :moped:

2. Size and weight has nothing to do with it, most scooters do 2up, so there ya go!!! It will come down to budget and engine size.
    How much are you willing to spend?
    How many km/h are you going to do daily?
    What street? Hwy or just suburbian?
    After you answer these questions, your search will narrow down to a couple of bikes. Go and test ride them and get the one that is more comfortable for your physic.

About gear, it's all about how much you value your skin!!
    Helmet is the legal requirement and boots (close, steel cap) is a must as you will be using your feet as the bike's stand at the lights.
    After that it is up to you. It is true that the scooter's body generaly protects you more than a bike, but as we get dressed to fall not to ride you should think about it..
    Your moto gear are not only for falls, but for weather too, rain and cold, so a jacket with protection for falling off is also waterproof and windproof, same with gloves and pants.
    You shouldn't care about what people will say. If you are riding, cagers will toot you and abuse you no mater what, so if you are planing to get on a bike, you should be able to ignore any bulling from the "elements" of the road. So wear whatever you want, regardless how you look..
  3. On the scoot, narrow your choices according to what you'll be using it for & your budget, & then get out & test ride.

With the gear, I wear the full outfit - helmet, jacket, draggins & boots. I don't care what anyone thinks I look like!
    Other than more ankle protection (you wouldn't get your ankles sandwiched against the bike in an accident) there isn't really any difference between coming off a motorcycle & coming off a scooter
  4. At 6 foot 4inches you'll look like a stick insect on most 50cc scooters, I'd be looking at 125cc and upwards.
  5. Ah, I was misled by those postal service job ads where they give the maximum weight as 90kg for their postie bikes.

Daily kph? Hmm, not sure about road distances - I'm in Brisbane and I'd mainly be on suburban roads rather than highways, though it'd be nice to occasionally go via a freeway.

Per week:

Riding from Chapel Hill to Brisbane Airport hopefully once a week = approx 18km as the crow flies (looking at the google map), or maybe 1.5x that on the road I suppose - 27km each way = 54km round trip, plus assuming I'm riding in and back to the city to uni five days per week etc rather than catching the bus 21km round trip x 5 = 105km.

Plus maybe a trip or two extra to see friends etc... say 54km round trip again.

213km per week or 30.5km per day or 11,200km per year.

As for how much I was willing to spend - my parents are willing to buy me the scooter, but the price is probably up to 3,000 although I could supplement another 1000-2000 if something bigger and more expensive was ideal. As for maintenance, I'm used to riding a bicycle a lot, but I'm aware that the costs of repairs and services will rise - hopefully the less the better and hopefully less than a motorcycle.

Well, I'd get the helmet and boots and jacket and pants for sure - I have zero desire to have large regions of my skin scraped off - hopefully they won't be tooo hot in brisbane weather.

Thanks for the replies, people.

P.S. What are cagers? Morons?
  6. well, if 5000 is the max, then start deducting!!

Insurance could be a lot ($500-1000) depending on age, years of experience, bike. So get a quote to know how much you will spend:
    comp insuracs:
    ctp (about $220):

Then visit a shop and get prices for gear, that could set you back for $500-1000

Then put away $500 - $1000 for next years service,flat tyre, replacing brake levers after fall..

Whats left? Thats your budget.... :?

Post bikes have 90kgr limit, as they will be carrying 20kgr more in letters, parcels
    I (95) and she (55) =150 could get on my 50cc and go around the suburb for fun...
    But you are looking at 30km per day.. So 150cc is the minimum. a 250cc is the ideal, but you don't have the budget for it..

Something to think about is that the same amount you will spend on a new 150cc Scooters, you can spend on a good second hand 250cc bike..
  7. Thanks. Are there significantly higher expenses on a second hand 250cc bike than a 150cc scooter?

I read in a post by someone on this forum that said 'In a perfect world every new rider should buy a 250 trail bike fitted with road tires and bark-busters, that way if he/she does drop it, minimal damage is the result. And a trail bike with road tires on handles superbly.'

I presume this is reasonably true, but buying a trail bike secondhand probably carries the risk that they've abused it on rough dirt tracks vs a secondhand road bike?
  8. secondhand vs new one is always a gamble!!!

But it is true that most of the new riders will have an off here and there, so you will cry less if this happens on a second hand bike than a new one.

Think of the future too. Are you eventually going to get a manual bike and compete in motogp? Then you need a manual license and that means that you will need to train on gears to get a license etc (not sure whats the deal in qld) ..
    The future could be that the new 50cc you'll get will be boring in 6months and you'll lose half your money upgrading it (mind you, i have my 50cc for 2 years and i've been riding it to work everyday!!)
  9. Well, I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of planning to start racing etc.. I've been riding a simple bicycle for years and while I expect I'll be mentally adjusting to having a motorcycle, simple economics will stop me from going crazy, as I'm planning to do an honours year next year in applied science and maybe a PhD following that.. maybe. At any rate, there's not much money in such things, so keeping expenses down will be important.
  10. If you're considering a postie bike (and it might be a good choice - it isn't terribly fast, but it will be rugged and cheap), remember that they also allow for at least 20-25kg of mail to go on the bike along with the rider.

Oh yes, they will be hot! Some of the time anyway. In the middle of the winter you will get cold, as well. Can't be helped - that's the price of going on two wheels. You can spend a lot of time (and money) on various types of motorcycle wear, there's A LOT of stuff out there. For hot weather riding look for mesh jackets/pants. Some of them have warm removable liners you can put in once it gets colder. And whatever you do, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE GLOVES! I consider them the most important bit of protective equipment for suburban type of riding, more important than the helmet (though of course you have to have the helmet, 'cause it's the law). Why? Because in this type of environment any accidents you're likely to have will be low-speed, and with a bit of luck you won't go tumbling down the road for hundreds of meters. But you'll DEFINITELY put your hands out when you fall! So protect them first of all.

cagers = car drivers. But you can assume 'morons' as well - seeing the standards of driving in our country, it's a safe assumption.

11. That's true, I was once riding on a bicycle down a slope on a walking track through local bushland when my foot slipped off my front pedal and wedged in the spokes of the front wheel. It jammed and I flew off over the top, and landed with my hands outstretched in front of me - fractured a bone in my wrist and hurt my toe - managed to limp back to my aunt's house over a few kms. So yeah, I won't skimp on them, thanks.

My friend recently got a Pagsta "Choppa" scooter and he's going to get a Dri-rider jacket - he says it has a removable lining for summer, which sounds good.

How good condition are second-hand postie bikes typically in? I've heard they don't sell that model to the general public, but its a Honda CT110 apparently, is there a similar general public model?
  12. Given your budget and your usage pattern and your size as mentioned earlier a 150cc upwards would be better, but if you aren't doing freeways for your 18k journey (mostly 60-80k zones) then a Honda Lead 100cc would do the job.

At about $2400 you'll still have enough $ left over for a gear as well (look for one of the L/P starter packs that have helmet, jacket, boots).

And you'll still be at $3000 or there abouts.
  13. Thanks I'll scope it out on the net first..
  14. Yes, Dri-rider makes pretty good mesh jackets. I have one for warm weather (and a different one for winter) and I'm happy with it. I wore it when I was riding around the city on the hottest day in god-knows-how-long, when the temperatures hit 44 degrees... sure, it was hot but I survived and didn't melt :)

There is, but it is classified as 'agricultural bike' and can't be registered for street use. What you see on ebay and such are ex-post bikes. Australia Post use them for something like 25,000kms, then auction them off to private buyers. Look for one that has had a service and rego done, so you don't have to go through the hassle, and it should cost you around 1,500 at most. Or if you do want to go through the hassle, you could pick one up at the auction, and pay even less.

But really, I know this is a scooter forum and I don't want to give impression I'm trying to 'poach' potential scooter users.. but I think you should consider bikes as well. People often have this idea that scooter is the cheaper option, but that is not the case, or at least, that's not the whole story. There is nothing in the design of the scooter that would make it cheaper or more economical to run than a bike - this perception of cheapness of scooters came from the way our market was structured, bikes would be larger and thus more expensive, while entry-level scooters being 50cc or so, were cheaper. But it is important to be aware that this cheapness is the result of their small size and being cheaply made, not because they are scooters!
    Now the market is changing and you can get things like a 'Sachs' 150cc (in quotes because it is now a Chinese-made bike with Sachs logo slapped on) for $2,000, or CBR 125cc, or Yamaha Scorpio for about 4,000 - all of which are in fact cheaper to buy, service or run than equivalent scooters.
  15. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm open to considering cheap motorcycles along with scooters. Whatever does the job best. :biker: 8-[ :moped:

Say, I see that the Honda CBR125R has fairings - do you think one can purchase it with them removed - I'd prefer a naked bike anytime re: the costs of repairing/replacing fairings when damaged.
  16. Umm, not as far as I'm aware... but if you want naked, check out Sachs - there's a large thread about it here:
  17. Have a look at the Bolwell range. The HD200, LeGrande and Firenze will all suit you with out a problem..
  18. Thanks again, I will. :)
  19. Say, how does one park something the size of a scooter? Get off it, walk it onto the pavement and lock it up like a bicycle or park it like a motorcycle - and you park motorcycles mainly in car spaces or dedicated motorcycle 'lots'? Haven't paid much attention to what they do - I ride a bicycle mainly at the moment and sometimes drive around a friend's automatic car when we go food shopping.

Also, a scooter is considered to be a motorcycle (in QLD anyway) when it comes to license and registration?