Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What's a 2002 GS500 with 80,000km's on it worth?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by bundy, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Hi All,

got one for sale here locally,

Firstly - do I walk away with that many km's on it?

Some more details
    - chain and sprockets replaced not long ago
    - new tyres
    - 12 months rego
    - full logbook stamped service record
    - been used mainly for commuting, with some longer tours
    - replaced the computer 10k ago as it had problems
    - lady owner (if that makes a difference)

generally the bike has been well looked after, with original pipe with no scratches, no evidence of being in a crash or dropped

So how much would it be worth if it all checked out???

2. At least a 6 pack
  3. Not necessarily. The GS is a pretty robust engine and if it's been looked after (and it sounds like it might have been) then I reckon you could probably get at least another 80,000kms out of it without too many issues.

As for price if it was in a LAMS state maybe 3-4k, being QLD though 2-3 might be closer to the mark.
  4. iirc its not a lams in qld

either way its not bad if the engine runs tight

new tyres , 12 months rego

make sure you get a RWC as the brake disks could be getting low and qld are nazis on that

$2K tops would be a fair price
  5. I was thinking somewhere in the $2500 to $2900 range to make it worthwhile in the long run.

This isn't a post where there is a set price and I'll tell you later. She had been thinking of selling after buying a car but hadn't got as far as doing research on how much it is worth. I don't know her, but she has her bike serviced at a shop that I frequent looking for bikes and just happened to have it there today.

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you tell if an engine runs tight...... or loose for that matter?

6. Can often tell that just from the sound of the engine and the way it "feels". Of course if you're not experienced with bikes or mechanical things, but are serious about the bike, then probably worth paying to have it tested professionally. A compression check in particular will give a very definite answer as to whether the engine still has plenty of life in it or not.
  7. Thanks only know mostly about cars, haven't looked at bikes much.

I suppose the same principles apply, responsive on the throttle, lacking extra "noises", leaks etc

Will be having another look this weekend with a mate who does know a lot about bikes, will see if he has a compression gauge that might fit.

8. I don't know what prices in Queensland are like, but i reckon if you got it for under 3 grand you'd be getting a good deal. Its a few kays, but those things are fairly understressed and a service history is a very good thing. As the others have mentioned, a compression test would tell you volumes about the overall condition of the engine.
  9. What should the compression be measuring on one of these???

10. I'm with Vic, but no more than a slab.
  11. If it's what you want up to 3k would be an ok price.
    I'd be factoring in a suspension freshen up with those k's but that wont break the bank if there is nothing else to spend.
    It should be cheap riding for the next 3 - 4 years.
  12. Given the service history, and the fact that it's unlikely to have been thrashed, I'd agree with the folk upthread that, if you can get it for $3k or below, it's a good buy.

Don't stress about exact compression figures. If it starts easily and doesn't blow smoke, it's fine. If you do a compression test and the pots are within maybe 20 psi of each other and not a million miles removed from 100 psi, you'll easily get another 80,000 out of the engine.

Typically, camshaft wear is what kills old-tech Jap twins. The secret of longevity there is frequent oil changes with the recommended viscosity of oil. A bike that's been serviced by the book will be fine. If I bought it though, I'd be changing the oil ~twice as frequently as the book recommendation from now on, due to my lingering memories of '70s bikes. It doesn't cost that much and it ensures that your expensive bits are bathed in cool, clean, fresh lube at all times :grin: .
  13. thanks for the info guys, your posts and my other research helped me bargain a price.

Bike checked out OK, with it still looking only a few years old, with a lady owner that loves her bike (and has looked after it accordingly) but needs a car.

Will pay $2,900 for it after a RWC has been done, by a mechanic that I trust.

Took the friend who knows his stuff along, he reckons it is a well looked after bike (mechanically and cosmetically), but he did look a little unmatched on his test ride, being 6'7", but he did say I fit it much better at 5'11"

Having a test ride of this bike showed me how crap condition the Learning school bikes were that I had ridden earlier. Their GS's had crap clutches and hard to change gear boxes compared with this one, but I suppose that is to be expected.

14. 2002 SUZUKI GS500

Cycle Road Manual 6sp 500cc
    Trade in price guide* $2,100 - $2,500
    National average price - private sale* $3,200 - $3,800
    Price when new (RRP) $7,090
    all prices quoted are GST inclusive where applicable
  15. with 80k on it...id be thinking 1000-1500 bucks...once it hits 100k its worth about 3 bucks.
  16. 80k is nicely run in for an air-cooled Suzi four stroke that's been looked after. Like I said, another 80k is the minimum I'd expect to get, given reasonable maintenance, before having to open up the engine for a set of exhaust valves and piston rings.

They're tough, with a capital F :grin: .

17. scary thought though, 80k is a lot.
  18. It'll take me quite a few years to get to 100k, it'll do me for awhile to learn on