Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Year is this Bike???

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Bram, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hello All.

I was recently given a bike. Its a Suzuki 200cc 4 stroke trail bike. I think its a DR200? I have no idea what year it is. The plastics have "Suzuki 200 Electric Start" written on it, and It has a round style headlight.

It is needing a bit of TLC, the exhaust has busted near the head. Needs a new battery. And Im going to give it a service aswell. (new oil and filter, new air cleaner, new Spark Plug.) I think every thing else on it is OK. I was told it was working fine till the exhaust came off, then its been sitting for a long time.

I am wondering what year it is so I know what parts to get. (Is there much variation through the years?) And also where about is the best place to get parts. I live in Perth WA SoR. But I will probably get bits off the interwebs.

Admins as you can see this is my first post, if Ive put it in the wrong section can you please Redirect as needed.

[url]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/im_lunch_box/SUZUKIBIKE.jpg[/url] [img]

Edit: how do you attach images to pages?
  2. should have a VIN plate (usually) on the right hand side near the steering head
  3. Thanks. Yep Vin # in stamped into frame. But I cannot see any other info (like you would on a car etc)

Vin = JS1SH42B000500806

also has = H402-109655 on the motor.
  4. It's an 05 if Suzuki is like the rest and the year is 8 digits back. Knowing suzuki it's not and it's a 00
  5. Yeah the guy that gave it to me said its a 1999/2000, but he also told me its a Yamaha, so I didnt take that as gospel.
  6. Thanks, so where is the best place to order bits off of the internet? Or Am I better off going to a dealership?
  7. It's an 00. Suzuki is ten digits back. And I would say the wreckers or classifieds depending on what you want.
    Filters, plugs, sprockets so forth off your dealer. Plastics so forth off the internet. Might depend on how fast you want them too.
    Look at three to four weeks off the internet. Usually a week off a dealer.
  8. To be sure you could run the vin number and for free you'll be able to find out for sure.
    Unfortunately the VIN database is down atm.
  9. Vin checker, that sounds interesting. Where is it, and when will it be working again? I was speaking to someone, and they think it might be a DF200, not a DR200??? Can anyone confirm? What are the differences between these two types?
  10. One is the trail bike and one is the ag bike, the ag bike version has (had) racks factory fitted and different gearing. I think it also had different jetting/tuning but I'm not 100% sure.

You can tell it's the ag (farm bike) version because it's got the rack/bars over the front lights which the DR200 didn't have.
  11. You do know that neither the DR nor the DF is going to be road registerable don't you? Or, at least, the DF isn't (according to my local Suzuli dealer) and the DR isn't if it hasn't got a Compliance Plate. I assume it hasn't got one 'cos if it had it would have told you what year it is.
  12. It depends upon what state the OP lives in and what type of registration they're seeking.

In Victoria it's actually easier to get 'recreational registration' (which doesn't require a compliance plate) than it is to get normal registration.

There are limits on when and where rec reg bikes can be ridden but it's a common choice for trail bikes.