Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Mark Gibbons, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Mark Gibbons, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    So I'm going to be selling my CBR soon, Even though I probably have under 15 hours of total riding time (yes, that spreads over my entire life, I'm a beginner, honestly)

I've found another bike that is exactly my asking price, so I was going to spend my earnings on it, and I'm wondering what people think of making the switch. The comparison is between the following two;

2008 Honda CBR 125R - Vs. 1990 Kawasaki GPX 250

Both bikes have RWC, and have been recently serviced. I just honestly don't know If I can handle the slow speeds of my CBR. Please put all non-related opinions aside, It's about the bikes itself, not about myself, riding ability, or gear.

2. Changing bikes, and don't have your learners yet........................???

Are you serious?
  3. [​IMG]

There's no right answer because you're asking completely the wrong question.
  4. Can you please tell us more info
    What is wrong with your current bike?
  5. both bikes are shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 trd2000, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    i'd wait.

get your license and ride the one you've got a bit... you can always swap later whe you have a better idea of what you're looking for....

that said... if you want advice JUST on the bikes. I'd NEVER have gotten a cbr125. The GPX is a better bike, if it's in decent condition.... they're getting old so from a reliability point the cbr may have it trumped.... MAYBE. there's plenty of GPX's still getting about.... just come to practice and see.
  7. CBR is super cheap, reliable and light, but underpowered. Better looking if you ask me too.
    GPX is going to cost in maintenance, but has a bit more power.

Understand this: more power does not mean powerful. They are both slow.

Neither is going to win a race unless its against a glacier.

Listen to the advice you are getting, most of us have been there before. Save your pennies, get off your restrictions and buy the bike you REALLY want.

Ride safe.
  8. Mark it will make no difference, the slowness and piss poor braking on the GPX will eventually jack you off just as much as the 125 does now.

Get your Learners, get some experience, run a couple of thou on real roads with real traffic, learn your craft and and if you find that riding is in the blood, then buy what you really want, don't waste good money on bad bikes.
  9. What part of rev it's tits off don't you understand?
  10. #10 positron, Nov 27, 2012
    I agree with this.
    However since you already have the CBR you may as well stick with it unless you are prepared to spend $6000 to $7000 on a better low mileage 2nd hand bike
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I dont want anything crazy powerful (yet) as said, It's the price of my current bike so it's a direct swap, wont be costing me a cent. That's why it's purely about the bikes. My current Honda, even though it was fantastic to learn on, barely gets to 100km/h at its top speed. I was something that can sit there, which the GPX can.
  12. My hopes aren't on overly high at the moment, I'll probably be switching yearly. I'm up to my 6th car in the passed two years, assuming the same thing with bikes will happen. It's just both bikes are identical in price, so its a direct swap, I don't lose anything except some time to go pick it up.
  13. Going from bad to worse. Get you L's and do some real riding at the same time save money and buy a half decent LAMS bike.
  14. You've already got the CBR, so no point worrying about getting bored with it till you actually get bored with it.

I certainly think 125s are underpowered for highway riding, but that doesn't mean you can't get a lot of months learning to ride at lower speeds around urban/suburban streets which is still very valuable experience. In fact as a newbie getting to grips with things like clutch control, emergency braking, low-speed maneuvering (like u-turns), correct cornering technique, dealing with traffic (filtering), etc is a much better place to start than trying to go fast - especially given what's involved in the full licence test.
  15. If it's basically a swap (no cash expense) and the GPX is in good condition, I'd do it.
    The GPX won't be 'quick' but much more livable at hwy speeds.
    Gota say though, if that's what you want, why didn't you get it in the first place?
  16. If the GPX is so good why is the other guy swapping "down"

The CBR125 has its own race class, the GPX doesnt.
  17. I'm all for upgrading.
    I just dont see this as a worthwhile upgrade.
    You say the cbr was ok to learn on. What makes you think you have learnt all that the cbr has to teach you with only 15 hours under your belt?

If you're hell bent on a change, why not look at a lams approved 400, 500 or even something like an sv650 if you want to cruise on 100kph rather than scream.
  18. Quite few people really loved their vtr250. You could get one of those cheap
  19. Postie bikes have their own race class too. So what's your point?

It's not like GPXs have never been used in racing over the last 20 years.
  20. #20 Vertical C, Nov 27, 2012
    Not currently but.... he could race the 125, if he wanted to. What would you race the gpx in?

Just another positive, he can decide the weighting for him.

Why don't you have a go at all these people suggesting other bikes, he is doing a trade, unless he can trade those other people then what is the point? I am surprised that he has got someone to trade from a GPX to a cbR125 what do you think the likelihood is to trade from a SV650 to a CBR125?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.