Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What would you do in her situation? Discuss.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor dies to save her unborn daughter
    September 14, 2007 07:36am

A MELBOURNE GP refused high-level chemotherapy, ultimately
    sacrificing her life to save her unborn daughter.

Family and friends farewelled Dr Ellice Hammond, 37, at a funeral service

Dr Hammond lost her battle with Hodgkin's lymphoma on Sunday, three
    weeks after daughter Mia Ellice was born nine weeks prematurely at the
    Monash Medical Centre, where she remains in neonatal intensive care,
    The Herald Sun said today.

Dr Hammond was diagnosed in the 22nd week of pregnancy and refused
    high-level chemotherapy that could have saved her but might have killed
    Mia, whose induced birth took place on August 20.

Dr Ellice Hammond, 37, with her daughter, Mia.

Mia is being treated at Monash Medical Centre's neonatal intensive care unit.

During her pregnancy, Dr Hammond endured three rounds of reduced-strength
    chemotherapy in order to protect her daughter.

But after each treatment the cancer returned worse than before, and stepped
    up treatment after the birth was not enough to save her.

Distraught husband Peter Wojcik said he was proud of his wife's devotion to
    the daughter she had always dreamed of.

"It feels like I got robbed of a wife and a mother," he said.

"I guess she didn't expect it to go this way, and if she did she wasn't telling us.

"But she would just want what is best for Mia and for everyone to love her and
    carry on with life.

"We had to make a decision on whether we would take the baby out early, while
    Ellice was relatively healthy. Otherwise, there was no point carrying the baby -
    the baby would be affected by the illness."

Seeing his wife and daughter together for a precious few days has been of
    some solace to him.

"Her whole life was looking forward to being a mum. She loved it," Mr Wojcik

"They have a kangaroo chair here, where they can put the baby down inside your
    shirt and you can lie back.

"And the first time Ellice tried that, she had tears coming down. She was just so

"That is one of the reasons she used her name as Mia's middle name, so she could
    pass something of herself on to her."

Sacrifice... Peter Wokjcik with daughter Mia
  2. Editorial: Young women saving others

Editorial: Young women saving others
    September 14, 2007 12:00am

CANCER sufferers Clare Oliver and Ellice Hammond are young
    women who both achieved much in the last weeks of their short lives.

Ms Oliver lost her courageous battle against skin cancer yesterday but she
    will not be forgotten.

Her message that solarium users risk developing melanomas will save
    many from repeating the mistakes that cost her life.

Within days of going public about her illness both the Victorian and Federal
    governments promised to tighten controls on the solarium industry.

The empty sun beds in solariums are testament to the power of Ms
    Oliver's message, particularly for young women.

Dr Hammond also saved a life. She stopped her cancer treatment while
    pregnant so that her first child could be born safely, unaffected by the

Dr Hammond, a 37-year-old Melbourne GP, risked her own life to save
    her baby -- and on Sunday she lost her brave battle for life, three weeks
    after daughter Mia's birth.

If she knew stopping her treatment might cost her her life, it was the
    ultimate example of a doctor applying her Hippocratic oath to save others.

The bravery of Ms Oliver and Dr Hammond is inspiring and they did not
    die in vain.

Story Link http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22415193-2862,00.html
  3. Too sad to discuss :(

Anyone who offers an opinion would just be speculating IMHO, as nobody knows what they would do when faced with something as terrible as this.
  4. She has huge courage, MG
  5. These are the truly brave and courageous
  6. Did you watch 'Enough Rope' on Monday? It was the story of 3 women all of whom were dealing with cancer in one way or another. Very moving. And before that, the story of a TV reporter who had several miscarriages as well as losing her 8mth old son to illness.

Life throws so many things at us, some deal with them better than others, but never lose sight of what's important to you.
  7. two words

tragic and shit :cry:
  8. OMAGAWD that was totally a story on Neighbours about 8 months ago, when Stef was pregnant with baby Charlie and Max tried to have her registered as mentally unfit to refuse the treatment but she broke his heart and succeeded and Charlie was born and she recovered afterwards but she soooo could have died but she didn't and she rides motorbikes too and I totally met the actress Carla Bonner at the x factor after party and she was like sooooooo nice and we got on the piss for a bit and then I told her Stef should so dump max and it got like weird and she kinda wandered off...

Don't look at me like that.
  9. A farkn tragedy all round and too upsetting to discuss.
  10. dr hammond may have been a doctor, but it's pretty clear to me she wasn't 'in the know'.

after the marketing thread i started, i see i may be alone when it comes to whats 'pretty clear' :LOL:

the funny thing is, im probably going to end up buying that sofa now anyway.

cheers :cool:
  11. Could not call that,
    have to be there,
    was a topic on Scrubs,
    medical drama comedy,
    for me can't got there.
  12. I am very opinionated on this one.

I have looked after several people while they died of cancer, and watched their horrific treatment.

I have made a commitment to myself that if I am diagnosed with cancer (several forms of hereditary cancer in my family) that I will not have treatment.

My whole family knows this. I will not even go for the routine checks that the rest of my family have. They are not happy about this- but it is my choice.

I know that people are often cured of cancer as I have gotten to know some of them while in the hospitals with family members. What I have seen in my family though has been people put through enormous suffering to have cancer treatment and die anyway.

This is not about me being brave- on the contrary. I have had fun while I am alive. If the big c gets me I am going out with a bang, not flat on my back puking up my guts, with my hair falling out for the last 6 months.

The doctor was very brave. What were her options though? Keep having treatment- kill her unborn daughter- have no legacy to carry on when she inevitably dies anyway???

Coming from a medical background I would have to say her prognosis didn't look good.

Sad story nonetheless. :cry:
  13. Too many variables.....

37 years old and her first child? As a doctor she would have known the other risks associated with this at least.

But at least her husband has part of her to love and hold......
  14. BM, I have to comment on this. Sure it is your choice as to whether to have treatment or not, but to not know the facts about an illness is just suicide. If you don't have all the information, how can you make an informed decision? As you surely know there are many forms of cancer that can be cured completely and relatively painlessly if diagnosed early. Go get your tests as you should, then make your decision, if you want to cut your life short by not having treatment, that's a choice you can make, don't risk cutting your life short through lack of information. That's just stupid!
  15. Um, speaking on behalf of the baby, Its awful growing up without a mother. Especially being a female as the same sex parent is always a huge influence. My Mum died the day after I was born, and it influences and colours your life forever, in a good and bad way. From what Ive read, the mother didnt have a very good chance anyway. At least these days there will be video footage of mum and lots of photos etc. 40 years ago all thats existed of my mum was some crappy photos and thats it. Many people tell me that im insane to ride a bike. I always reply with " "well, I could have cancer festering inside me right as we speak , somethings always gonna get you in the end".
    With regards to Clare, in this country and with the way we all sunbaked till we peeled every day of summer, Im surprised theres not more of us diagnosed with skin cancer.

Lifes hard, we're only humans, and im amazed so many of us survive each day with all the things that are thrown at us. Try to learn from others mistakes/misfortunes and find inspiration in sadness.

Wow too heavy for so early in the morning, Im geting a coffee!

Kate :)
  16. My wife's older brother was diagnosed with heart problems. He was too
    big-headed & macho to follow medical direction to take medication. He was
    having a shower & droppedl dead of a heart attack at 34 years of age
    leaving behind a wife & 3 boys now having to grow up w/out a dad.

My younger brother is the same. Didnt change lifestyle & drinking habits.
    Never went to doctor to have tests at required intervals for 12mths until his
    wife had enough & made him go.

Doctors now say his condition has gone to far unmonitored & nothing more
    they can do because the damage is irrepairable. Life expectancy has now
    been shortened & he'll now get to the stage where he'll need dialysis or
  17. wow!

that kid may be heavily burdened by this when she's all grown up.

what a story.
  18. BM wrote

BM! fine! dont have chemo! but get the bloody lump taken out!

if you detect anything EARLY enough, have the lump removed, you'll be fine!

the end is vomiting no matter what. dying of cancer is worse than chemo!

CHEMO -10% <- ya see that, a measly 10%

RADIO - 5% [radio is no big deal, do that and get 5%]

so BM, given the you're never doing chemo in this life time, at the very least, check to see if there is anything regularly so you can get it removed as early as possible. if you have that op, no ones going to force you to do chemo, you dont have to back right off everything if chemo is the only part you wont do.

chemo's 10%, so what if you dont do it. lumpectomy! that's 70% you gotta do that!

cheers :cool:

btw, the headline thru me off, i didnt realize she was destined to die anyway.
  19. Hmmm...

So she gets to have the child she wanted, then leaves her husband to deal simultaneously with the loss of his beloved wife and to care for a newborn child alone.

Hardly a picture of mental health and stability now is it?

You end up with a child who is given an impossible goal to live up to, being responsible for the death of the mother, and will be reminded of that and judged against that (and told how much of a saint their mother was) for the rest of their life.

You end up with a father who, deliberate or not, will feel that his wife could have survived but for the child, and will most likely resent the child for the rest of their life, not just for killing the mother, but for being more important than him. He'll think she valued her ability to breed more than she valued the man she loved. You can imagine the family arguments already.

Sounds like we've got two major league headcases created right there.

No matter how you look at it, thats not a "win" scenario for either husband or child. The only one I see who got any form of "win" out of it was the mother.

I wish them both all the best, but it will be very difficult for both of them.
  20. The baby didn't give the mother cancer!

You have a very negative outlook. Kids grow up normal every day with single parents.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.