Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What would have done differently? (going thru L&Ps)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dangerous_daveo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Firstly I assume this is the right place for this topic, and it hasn't been done before. But I'm no good at searching.

Basically, what would everyone have done differently with their learning/first riding/first bike etc experiences. I guess I'd like to try and learn from others mistakes where ever I can.

Obviously there are some mistakes I'll have to make myself, and have the attached lesson that goes with them.

I've already read through all the tips sections, all good info there. Just looking for anything extra really.

BTW, I live in QLD, so if there are an extra tips to get the most out of Q-Ride would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance all!
  2. I'll be doing my P's on the 5th of January hopefully, providing it's not booked out by the time i get to the rta tomorrow.

Anyways, I've had my L's about 11 months or so now I think, and while I did read a lot for hints etc actually getting on the bike and riding is where I have learnt the most. So if I had to do it all again I would probably just read less :p
  3. well for me, i would try harder to get a bike on the road if i had to do it all again.
    i had my L's for 15 months and of that time, i never got around to getting the bike registered.
    it just sat in the shed until 3 months ago when i took it to the bike shop to get fixed.
    was planning to get it on the road but other things happened and i was faced with losing my L's (no extentions on your L's) if i didnt go for my P's.
    the whole time i had my L's, i did 50km of riding and 25km of that was the morning before the P's test.
    i passed with no hassels so it was probably both lucky and helpful that i had previous riding experience, even though it was 10+ years ago.
  4. What I would've done differently was NOT wait until I was 46 before I got myself licensed. But obviously it's a mistake You are not going to make yourself. :wink:
  5. I'll go along with that one I am spewing I waited till I was 33
  6. guess im the odd one out here:p , riding at 18 and no car license.

im doing my P's tomorrow so i cant offer advice for moving through P's... but for L's. listen to what everyone says. it might just be the usual practice back streets, car parks etc but it helps so much. im lucky that i live in a rather quiet area so couild go on larger roads without much trouble.

practice slow riding, when you are in traffic its much easier to keep moving exceptionally slow than always stop.

what wouldnt i have done? few things,.,, trying to get into corners i didnt know to quick.. and didnt have the necessary skills to corretc myself (though thats getting fixed :D ) and also just watching traffic a lot. ive had 2 or 3 close calls with people either not seeing me or just pushing.

its great fun though :)
  7. I'd have bought a cbr250rr instead of the zzr :grin:
  8. I would not have ridden whilst fatigued... It's hard enough anticipating the traffic when you're fully alert, let alone having less than an optimal amount of sleep with your mp3 blaring in your ears.

That there is an accident waiting to happen, avoid like the plague!
  9. +1 to that. Still, I'm happy with the way things have turned out. I had my L's for about six months before getting my P's.

Having never ridden a motorcycle or really driven a car, I set myself a goal of 10 000ks of riding before thinking about P's and it teached me a lot.

Roadcraft is a life saver. My mountain bike riding started my roadcraft off and I'm still learning. I'm also glad that I got into a good group of riders and have a few decent length group rides under my belt.
  10. I waited till i was 33 also, but I liked the idea of the 30+ L to full licence after the test.

Might have saved up a bit more and got a bike I really like, but then again I live in a block of units and thieving assholes live around here, so I guess my shitbox will have to do for now.
  11. I would've practised more for my Ps test. I made it through fine, but it would've been really nice to have more practice under my belt and to have walked in there with confidence and completely aced it.

Something I'm glad I did was go and buy all my gear before I bought my bike so I'm now in the habit of always putting it on. I know I would've taken ages to buy gear if I first started riding without the full kit.